Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

How much nitrate reduction?

Wilioli

Ive been told that chaeto will help reduce my nitrates in my 20long. How much will it take to reduce 'x' amount of nitrates? can that be estimated or calculated ? And I've been very interested in mangroves -- but I've been told that it takes 'a lot' of mangroves to reduce nitrates.. what is 'a lot'?

Also -- people talk about a reverse light system/cycle for chaeto to prevent pH swings. But again, how much chaeto will it take to actually make a pH swing?

Thanks in advance.

SeaMonsters Inc.
Ive been told that chaeto will help reduce my nitrates in my 20long. How much will it take to reduce 'x' amount of nitrates? can that be estimated or calculated ? And I've been very interested in mangroves -- but I've been told that it takes 'a lot' of mangroves to reduce nitrates.. what is 'a lot'?

Also -- people talk about a reverse light system/cycle for chaeto to prevent pH swings. But again, how much chaeto will it take to actually make a pH swing?

Thanks in advance.

the first answer in my opinion is just to get as much chaeto as possible there is really is no disadvantage to it that I know of (unless you dislike pods)...I have never heard of a formula but there may be one out there...mangroves are slower growing so chaeto is usually preferred...the cheato itself won't cause a ph swing, but in the morning your ph is always going to be a lower ph because your animals are still exhaling co2 but your photosynthetics aren't producing oxygen (and higher co2=lower ph) If you set your chaeto on a reverse cycle your can prevent ph swings.

sent from ipod

the first answer in my opinion is just to get as much chaeto as possible there is really is no disadvantage to it that I know of (unless you dislike pods)...I have never heard of a formula but there may be one out there...mangroves are slower growing so chaeto is usually preferred...the cheato itself won't cause a ph swing, but in the morning your ph is always going to be a lower ph because your animals are still exhaling co2 but your photosynthetics aren't producing oxygen (and higher co2=lower ph) If you set your chaeto on a reverse cycle your can prevent ph swings.

sent from ipod

I see what you're saying.. that makes more sense now regarding ph swings.

And i didnt mean just a formula -- like even amount -- if i had a handful of chaeto will that be 'useless' for nitrate reduction for a 20 gallon lets say? would i need min 2 handfuls ? lol.. thats as far from a formula as you can get i guess.. my bad lol

Archived