SaltCritters.com

50/50.... does anyone know what these are?

xXxCyanoticxXx

xXxCyanoticxXx

Hello this is my first post here, hopefully i won't have to ask too many stupid questions.

I was looking on another site and saw some 50/50 compact bulbs that were for incandescent fixtures.... They had a "white"tube and a "blue" tube.... Now I can't find the site or the lights anywhere. Does anyone know what these are and who makes them. thanks.

Britton

white side is supposed to be 10000Kelvin lighting (color temperature-wise, against tungsten as the standard i believe).

the blue side is supposed to be actinic (hmmm), which is supposed to be around 420nanometers in light wave length.

why the two standards, i dunno. probably marketing or something, i guess. (or more accurate definitions maybe) the actinic is around 20000K+ or so.

physh1 has a good info page on lighting as well as other topics. he also makes a mean looking auto top-off unit, an essential tool to reefers imo. hth

imageload.jpg

I think thats the one's your talking about. I'm thinking about using them in my 5 gallon setup. They have 10 and 20 watts. Cheapest place I found them was

HERE

I've seen a few DIY setups with these in them. Any opinions?

Yep, you're looking at a bulb that's a combination of 50% true daylight (either 6,500 deg. kelvin or 10,000 deg. kelvin) and 50% supplimental blue actinic light (7,100 deg. k. or 20,000 deg. k.). The natural daylight portion of the bulb will emit a balanced full spectrum light and the actinic portion of the bulb will emit the blue light corals love underwater.

Archived