Pod Your Reef

Matt's 11g Green Leaf Rimless

Clavius85

I've also been looking into RapidLED's setup for my tank, while doing some research I came across a four part video series on the rapid led diy kits. These videos show a nice step by step on how to set one of these kits up. Hopefully this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1mkwiet#p/u/10/4I_5uh4R_QQ

Thanks for the link. I actually came across those videos the other day. They were very helpful.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a new filter sock holder that will work better. The other one just went too far down into the sump. So here are a few pics. One with just the filter sock holder and then two with the sock holder and the Tunze 9002 skimmer. At the moment I'll be putting both in the same chamber (chamber 1).

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1741.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

I don't mean to be a dick but, why is the return nozzle so low?

In the event of a power outage the tank will back siphon through the return nozzle to that level. Make sure your sump can handle that much water.

I made that same mistake on my tank. I put the return nozzle about half way down on the tank so that I wouldn't have to drill an extra whole through my coast to coast overflow. Needless to say my first leak tested resulted in about 4 gallons of water on the floor.

Are you able to angle the extenders on your return in a way so that the siphon won't take as much out of your tank? If not you will have to make sure your corals are not past that point, in the case you do get a power outage they will still be in the water.

I don't mean to be a dick but, why is the return nozzle so low?

In the event of a power outage the tank will back siphon through the return nozzle to that level. Make sure your sump can handle that much water.

Noob mistake. This is the first tank I've ever drilled. I'm going to add a bunch more loc-line to the return to (hopefully) create a higher siphon break. And if it doesn't work... well, then I'm ####ed.

I made that same mistake on my tank. I put the return nozzle about half way down on the tank so that I wouldn't have to drill an extra whole through my coast to coast overflow. Needless to say my first leak tested resulted in about 4 gallons of water on the floor.

Are you able to angle the extenders on your return in a way so that the siphon won't take as much out of your tank? If not you will have to make sure your corals are not past that point, in the case you do get a power outage they will still be in the water.

Think this will work?

IMG_1751.jpg

Think this will work?

That will help. If worse comes to worse, get more Loc-line and drill a small hole as close to the surface as possible to act as a siphon break.

Even IF it back siphons out half the water from the tank the corals will be OK. Corals get exposed to air regularly in the wild. In the event of a outage or similar, you will have to be home to move them under the water at some point though..

The most important thing here is to just plan your sump accordingly and make sure it can take the extra volume in a back-siphon scenario.

The most important thing here is to just plan your sump accordingly and make sure it can take the extra volume in a back-siphon scenario.

I'm pretty sure that I have enough room in the sump. I'll eventually test it to be positive. If all else fails I'll just order another tank (the Green Leaf 60-L) and re-drill. An expensive lesson learned.

I'm pretty sure that I have enough room in the sump. I'll eventually test it to be positive. If all else fails I'll just order a 40B and drill.

FTFY :lol:

I'm pretty sure you won't need to do this. :mellow:

Plus 1. You'll have to mess around with the return but you should be able to find a spot where you won't have to much of a siphon into the sump

The baffles are acrylic.

Downer time again. Watch those baffles. As they swell with water they may pop out, as silicon doesn't actually bond well with acrylic, or anything for that matter. Silicone doesn't have great adhesive power, so more surface area is usually required when using acrylic for baffles. With sufficient water pressure, even 1/4" baffles will pop out over time.

If you have time get some double pane window glass cut and replace, or thicker acrylic. If you don't just watch them and be ready to replace later.

Downer time again. Watch those baffles. As they swell with water they may pop out, as silicon doesn't actually bond well with acrylic, or anything for that matter. Silicone doesn't have great adhesive power, so more surface area is usually required when using acrylic for baffles. With sufficient water pressure, even 1/4" baffles will pop out over time.

If you have time get some double pane window glass cut and replace, or thicker acrylic. If you don't just watch them and be ready to replace later.

A local reefer told me the same thing about using acrylic for the baffles. I water tested one section and it bowed a bit. I think this would work... for awhile. But I would constantly be worried about it long term. So I think I'm going to go to Lowe's tomorrow and have some glass cut to replace the acrylic. What glass thickness would you recommend?

Sump is coming along fairly well. Just need to choose a return pump...

IMG_1753.jpg

I recommend the eheim ecco compact 2000, very nice pump and its only around $90. It also has a valve to adjust flow between 230-500gph(I think those are the right numbers) with out head. This might be to much flow for what you are planning on having in your tank though, especially with powerheads. I have this pump for my return and I couldnt be happier. Here's a link http://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_Compact%2...-FIPHCP-vi.html

+ 1. its worth the time to redo. You should be able to get them cut at lowes for around $10. I went with 1/8" and they seem to be fine.

I got mine cut for my 20L, though my 10gal had acrylic baffles and not a single problem. Just pay attention to which section is which as I goofed, made my skimmer section too small. When I tried to see if the skimmer would fit well.... It made the skimmer section larger for me. Now I only have 2 chambers in my sump. Thinking about it though, I really don't mind.

Thanks for the pump recommendation. I'm not so much concerned about flow for the tank as I'll have a Vortech MP10 to take care of that. I'm mainly just looking for something that is quiet and dependable. I've read good things about the Eheim's. So I may go with one of those. A little pricey though. I don't mind paying a little more though if it's good quality.

I got mine cut for my 20L, though my 10gal had acrylic baffles and not a single problem. Just pay attention to which section is which as I goofed, made my skimmer section too small. When I tried to see if the skimmer would fit well.... It made the skimmer section larger for me. Now I only have 2 chambers in my sump. Thinking about it though, I really don't mind.

20L? Did you buy another tank? :lol:

To be honest I got a quiet1 800 for my return pump and it's pretty quiet. Not the BEST pump but decent and petsmart carries them locally. Though now that I am up to the 40 I am not 100% sure it's up to the task. I may have to upgrade.

20L? Did you buy another tank? :lol:

Yes and no, I bought the 20L at the same time I bought the 40 (can't beat petco's sale) for it's purpose in life to be the 40's bi@tch (see sump).

the 20L makes a pretty awesome sump btw.

Yes and no, I bought the 20L at the same time I bought the 40 (can't beat petco's sale) for it's purpose in life to be the 40's bi@tch (see sump).

the 20L makes a pretty awesome sump btw.

Gotcha. Yeah I bet the 20L will give you quite a bit of room as a sump. Pics?

Archived