SaltCritters.com

Matt's 11g Green Leaf Rimless

Clavius85

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Been working on my stocking list. At the moment I have 1 Yellow Clown Goby and 3 Sexy Shrimp in the pico. So they will move over to the new tank when it is ready. I definitely want a clown, and this time I'd like to get a True Percula clown. They look nicer to me than the Ocellaris. In addition to the clown I think I'll add a Firefish.

That might be a bit much for an 11g.

That might be a bit much for an 11g.

Yeah... I may just stick with the goby and a percula clown. That seems like a nice balance.

Bought a cordless drill today along with another 10g tank to practice on. I should be drilling on the practice tank once the drill charges! :o

Someone mentioned splitting your return for your fuge.

It's a great idea and you DEFINATELY dont want the whole volume of tank turnover to be that high in the fuge.

Also, your skimmer placement seems less than ideal at the moment. Most manufacturers have a water level requirement as well as a recommendation for minimizing turbulence in the skimmer chamber.

In this setup you are considering, a more elaborate sump setup may be needed. Instead of just cutting the sump into sections across front to back... you might think of a way to split the LAST chamber into two portions, one for Fuge, and one for pump and make the middle portion smaller to fit the skimmer.

An ideal sumpflow pattern would be Tank Drain->Microbubble baffles->Skimmer->microbubble baffle->Refugium->Return pump.

Thanks for your input regarding the sump. I haven't started on it yet so nothing is set in stone. I like your sump flow pattern. But do you think that there is enough room in a standard 10g tank to do it?

Ya when I did my tank I was freeeeeeeaaaaaaking out. The second hole was a lot easier. When I was helping ryan with his it was no big thing. Looks great Matt. I'm jealous.

I would recommend basing your baffle height on your skimmer, I think mine is just SLIGGGHHHTTTLLY lower than it should be.

Drilling complete! Phew, that was nerve wracking. Time for a glass of bourbon. Pics of the tank in a few...

bro, I really wanted to see some "progression" shots too.

I always wanted to drill my glass tank but never built up the nerves. :mellow:

My light won't be here until the 4th. :(

bro, I really wanted to see some "progression" shots too.

I always wanted to drill my glass tank but never built up the nerves. :mellow:

I did take a video when I was practice drilling on an AGA 10g. Took me four tries to get a hole in that tank without cracking the thin glass.

http://youtu.be/XoPpnAQ3BPM?hd=1

My light won't be here until the 4th. :(

I did take a video when I was practice drilling on an AGA 10g. Took me four tries to get a hole in that tank without cracking the thin glass.

http://youtu.be/XoPpnAQ3BPM?hd=1

Man that video is pretty helpful. Looks like you had the putty just a little off center and visually it was hard as #### to get the bit back into the original hole. Glad you didn't crack the display tank though! Looks great and I think this tank will be awesome once it's up and running.

Man that video is pretty helpful. Looks like you had the putty just a little off center and visually it was hard as #### to get the bit back into the original hole. Glad you didn't crack the display tank though! Looks great and I think this tank will be awesome once it's up and running.

Yeah, in that video I didn't drill deep enough with the template. So the groove was too small once I removed the template. You want to get a nice, fairly deep groove going with the template so that it's easy to start drilling again once you remove it.

A few questions for you plumbing experts:

-Do I HAVE to use PVC to plumb this thing both to and from the sump? The reason I ask is because using PVC with cement, etc. seems so permanent. I was hoping to setup this tank in a way that would allow me to disconnect it easily should I need to move the tank in the future.

-Should I use teflon tape when attaching the bulkhead sides together? I know glass-holes.com recommends using plumber's grease on the gaskets and I plan on doing that.

I know I'll have more questions as I'm a total noob to plumbing. But I can't think of them at the moment. Here's a picture of the back of the tank with the bulkheads temporarily installed:

IMG_1718.jpg

A few questions for you plumbing experts:

-Do I HAVE to use PVC to plumb this thing both to and from the sump? The reason I ask is because using PVC with cement, etc. seems so permanent. I was hoping to setup this tank in a way that would allow me to disconnect it easily should I need to move the tank in the future.

-Should I use teflon tape when attaching the bulkhead sides together? I know glass-holes.com recommends using plumber's grease on the gaskets and I plan on doing that.

I know I'll have more questions as I'm a total noob to plumbing. But I can't think of them at the moment. Here's a picture of the back of the tank with the bulkheads temporarily installed:

IMG_1718.jpg

You could use vinyl tubing and barb hose fittings for both, as long as they're adequately sized.

I would use teflon for everything you screw.

Looks great Matt.

You could use vinyl tubing and barb hose fittings for both, as long as they're adequately sized.

I would use teflon for everything you screw.

Looks great Matt.

Thanks. I think I'll use vinyl tubing.

New sump plan drawn up by a fellow reefer:

sump.jpg

I like this one more because you can keep that flow through the fuge nice and slow.

So why haven't you built it yet?

I like this one more because you can keep that flow through the fuge nice and slow.

So why haven't you built it yet?

I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I work in the wine and spirits business and it is crazy this time of year.

Been doing some math on how much this tank has cost me so far. I won't count the equipment I already had like the heater, Vortech, RKL, etc.:

• 165.00 - 150w Viper Deluxe
  • 73.34 - Tank + Shipping
  • 95.00 - Overflow Kit + Return Kit from Glass-Holes.com
  • 12.00 - 10g AGA tank for sump
  • 30.97 - Filter sock holder for sump + 2 filter socks
  • --------
  • $376.31

Archived