Coral Vue Hydros

Mixing Clown fish...

xxaquanutxx

Hey all... I need a little help here. I just bought a used tank and it came with a maroon clown and a yellow tang. Now the Maroon clown is about 2" and 3 years old. I would like to mate it and if permitable add a mated pair of false Perculas aswell.

I know that Maroons are one of the most aggresive clown fish, so my question is: would I be able to add the perculas to my tank and have them live in harmony with the maroons?

The maroon I have now Is really dominant (female) but the tank is being moved and completely renovated, so by the time the tank is ready I will add a small maroon (male) and then the female a couple hours later... then About 1 week later I will add the mated pair of perculas.

What do you guys think of my theory?? Any advice is much appreciated!!:P

omg thats so bad! no it won't work...what size is that tank? and u say ur maroon clown is 2" at 3 years old? OMG females get to 6" and males to like 4", and it sure dont' take them taht long to grow, the clown is stunted growth, get a bigger tank, 30 gallon+ and put the maroon clown in there, and get a male if u want to i guess, and the tang needs like a 75 gallon, wow thats really sad

I have a 90 Gallon tank.. how can the maroon be stunned in a 90g?? I have never seen a 6" maroon clown.. are you sure they get 6 "s?? so I shouldnt mix them?

You have to be more specific on these forums, I learned that myself, people are ready to flame for the worst here because that is what they often read. Mixing clowns? Well, from what I read that is not a good idea because of their terrotorial behavior, but you do have a sizable tank. You might be ok giving the space you have if you keep them seperated on opp sides of the tank, say by adding two anemones one for each species of clown if your have the proper lighting for them and they psotion themselves away from one another. Just be prepared to take them out if things get bad, good luck. :)

Mixing up the rock work is a good idea. And yeah they can get that big if given the chance.

Even with a 90 I'd stay away from mixing species of Clowns. I had a pair of False Perc's in a 75 reef and added a pair of Skunks. Very big mistake. The skunks were dead in three hours. At the time I had a LTA which I wanted my precs to go to, but would not. The skunks were not around long enough to find the LTA. Then picked up a medium sized Clarkii. It found the LTA right away and was able to hide in it when the perc's came around. Even in a tank the size of a 90 I'd still stay away from getting different species of Clowns.

I've seen 4-5" Maroons in a few LFS. Might want to find a nice male to go with your female.

well as u know this is a NANO REEF forum so i just assumed it was in something small since u didn't tell us, sorry and i figure at 2" in 3 years its still stunted or those thins don't grow! Yea females get 6" and males get 4" if givin a chance sorry man oh btw i still wouldn't mix them

K guys i have from experience Add the little male Maroon first then 1after a day add the percs then add the Femal Maroon but craet a safe haven the the big maroon cant get too i have a pair of percs with 1 maroon pair, 1 tomatoe pair, and 1 Clarkii pair in a 55 gallon and the percs fight tough so they will be okay just make sure u do in the order above.

Archived