SaltCritters.com

switch to 64w or stick to 32w?

WillyWonka

i installed my supernova which i received from the nano-reef store and i must say that i was impressed.  But, i've heard from many sources that i need more than 32w in a 12 gallon to keep corals happy and growing.  i've checked out the CSL 2x32 retro kit and the specs infer that it will fit in my canopy.  i'm wondering if it might cause too much heat under that small canopy.  should i switch over to the 2x32 or stick with the 32w and add something more or drill holes in the canopy to help ventilate with the 64?  suggestions please, thanks WW

I'd say go for the extra 32w. The more the merrier plus you will be able to keep more then the basic softies.

I have 2x32w in an Eclipse System 12 hood and temps aren't all that hot.  My temps are usually around 80-82 depending on time of day. Just be sure that your room is cool or your tank will overheat. Mine sure did when the ac in your house went out for 2 days. :(

I had to keep a desktop fan on it to keep it cool. I might rig up small computer fans into the hood just so that doesn't happen again.

Good luck

• 11 months later...

i have a 1x32 supernova retrofit in my tank. I would like to add another 32w too. Do I just buy another supernova and install (after removing the filter) or is there another special 2x32 set that CSL sells that will make a better fit or easier install?

Thanks!

Archived