inTank Media Baskets

Is frozen seafood from a store(I.E. Vons) safe to feed fish?

aund45pq

All the local fish stores fail to have what i need but when i was walking thru vons i saw them fresh causght shrimp on ice. Would it be safe to feed em to my fishes???

fyi - was about to buy japanese style roe (not the wasabi flavor!) from my local fishmonger, and she told me that there is tons of stuff put in there. I've seen people's homemade fish food recipes where they put all kinds of stuff including roe (not oyster eggs), and personally would love to know what they use, and where they get it.

Don't buy anything flavored or cooked.... or breaded :huh:

Other than that, a lot of people use frozen raw seafood mixes as their meaty foods for fish - similar nutritionally to silversides and some frozen fish foods, but it's required by law to be handled properly. There's a few horror stories of silversides which thawed and rotted before sale killing things in the tank - though they're few and far between.

• 9 years later...

I feed frozen scallops and octopus.. fresh frozen only. I use a hand held nutmeg type grinder. It is right on for size and they love.

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

I used to work in the seafood industry and whenever we processed pollack and cod it was pretty simple and straightforward. Any of the bycatch got ground up and sold as "fish meal" to other places and heck even sent to another processor to become "fish balls."

From what I saw processors would receive catch from large holding systems of super refrigerated seawater. Fish gets sorted out then cut and cleaned. Then the raw fish filets or products would be frozen. Because fresh fish is frozen pretty immediately (within several hours) there's a really low chance of carrying bugs. I can only speak for American (Alaskan) processors but processors are required by law to keep very clean facilities by FAO and FDA. The program laws were actually developed by NASA for our astronauts (you don't want sick people in space...)

• Like 2