inTank Media Baskets

PFO Ballasts...can you use any mogul base bulbs??

Reefergal

I am new to MH lighting. I purchased a used setup with PFO Ballasts and the bulbs are about 2 yrs old. Now I seen on MD's website for PFO Ballasts and they say to only use Iwasaki bulbs. But I have also read that you can use either....Coralife, Hamilton Ushio, or Iwasaki bulbs. Can someone clear this up for me? I am really liking the Hamilton color of the 14K bulbs. But I also have 2 VHO 110W bulbs with this system also. What to do???

I may be missing something in your post, but unless your PFO ballast is the one designed specifically for the iwasaki set up, you can run any mogul based bulb in that wattage range. I am running a sunburst on mine.

Guy

Thats what I am trying to figure out myself. The PFO Ballast Model # is AQ2-250. It doesnt have any indication on the ballast if its EYE, HQI etc.. They have 2 Eye Iwasaki 250W bulbs on it now. I have an email out to PFO to ask them if this is a mercury ballast or not. The other ballast I have is PFO also Model # AQ1-400HQI. They have a 400W Blue Radium bulb with this Ballast. But is it supposed to be an HQI Bulb?? Confused here...

There are no 400 HIQ bulbs. People burn the Radiums on the 400 HIQ ballasts b.c it burns a lot whiter. The Radium bulbs look wonderful with the 400 HIQ ballasts.

Archived