Innovative Marine Aquariums

an ideal clean up crew

harday

O.k. guys and gals, I am soliciting all advice on the most ideal clean up crew for a 12 g nano cube. I now have 18 lbs of live rock, doing very well after 2 weeks and my cycle has completed. In the next few weeks, I want to add a clean up crew to begin their work, but I am having a hard time with this. All 3 LFS give different advice. I want a good mix of critters, nothing "rare" or ridiculously priced, that will co-exist peacefully with each other and the one (or maybe two) fish I later add, which will likely just be a Nemo for my son. No corals, just a FOWLR. Anyone up for this please give me your vote. I will take everyone's recommendations, go with the majority, and let it rip. Thank you all and I look forward to your advice. .

Hi how are you?

I just got a cube up and running, as a clean up crew I have 2 dwarf burgundy hermits, 2 dwarf blue leg hermits, 2 cerith snails, 2 nass. snails (probably should get 2 more though), and a nice big fat 2" blue knuckle crab for looks.

The blue knuckle seems ok, but might get rid of him if he starts to nock over coral frags. I am planning on a fire shrimp and pistol shrimp, false clown, yellow watchman goby, possibly a neon goby too. All of these after my corals are in of course, and introduce fish at a rate of one per month keeping an eye on water.

You could get a brittle star, yellow and reds look nice get about 12" or so, be careful of small fish though :ermm: , most don't have a problem.

My tank

Cube

2.5" live sand bed

15.5# LR

2.5# LR rubble in back

50 watt heater

No mods as of yet except filter, but plan on addding another pump to get a cross current or alternating current going, and add in a moon light too.

My tank is going to be softy dominated, ricordea, mushrooms, zoos, polyps, hammer, candy cane, open brain, leather

whats the bottom? sand or crushed coral?

-definatley get 5-6 snails, id mix them up a little with ones you like

-4-5 hermit crabs, just make sure they wont kill eachother, i prefer the electric blue's personally

-star fish are great, if you have a sand bottom, go with a sand sifter, if crushed coral go with something that is reef safe and doesn't get bigger than 5 inches, i have both a thorny red star and a sand sifter

Archived