Cultivated Reef

Deano's 20L tank

Deano

Wow that is an ingenious canopy design. I never thought of using a TV bracket but it looks totally awesome and seems very versatile as well with the cantilever design.

Thanks,

Works great, but if you do it don't skimp on the bracket. My 1st one was kind of cheap and didn't offer the range of motion I needed plus would not hold the hood level. I stole the better one I had from my LCD TV it was a much better quality one. With the good bracket I can even tilt the hood straight up to get to the bulbs.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great update... nice pics of the accessor.. and the canopy is nice.. can't wait to see more pics. Everything looks really happy in your tank.

Great update... nice pics of the accessor.. and the canopy is nice.. can't wait to see more pics. Everything looks really happy in your tank.

Thanks!

animalmaster6

Nice assessor!

Well a sad day one of my Beloved Barnacle Blennies has went MIA. I have looked everywhere including the sump. I see bluezooaquatics has got some more in so I guess I will have to order a couple more. I would like to have 3 or 4 total in this tank since they are so small and fun to watch. "little fish with a HUGE personality"

:( Very sorry to hear Deano :(

Nice assessor!

:( Very sorry to hear Deano :(

Thanks, I can only think it got into the over flow and then into the filter sock since there is nothing in the tank that would have harmed it. It wouldn't take long for the nature to do that rest.

Just found this thread. Great tank. Love the hidden pump as well as the way you mounted the lighting hood.

Thanks for looking.

Just got in some stuff from BRS. I ordered 2 ATI Aquablue Specials to replace the Odyssea 10K. I am very happy with them. They have a much crisper white/blue look then the Odyssea 10Ks. Since Evil tested the Odyssea bulbs and concluded that the Odyssea actinic are not far off from UVL's par outputs I decided to stay with them to save some $$$.

I am able to run my hood fans at 40% bulb temps are at 40-41 C with a room ambient temp of 78F. Got pretty worm today I had to turn on the office AC. I am real happy with the results of this tank.

Thats some sweet engineering you did there, looks really good.

Thanks, I really appreciate your complement. Not much of an engineer more like a good hack. ;)

DreTheReefer

I starter constructing the sqme size tank and was thinking of using the same aquatraders light. How has the growth been for you overall with that light? BTW tank looks great.

I starter constructing the sqme size tank and was thinking of using the same aquatraders light. How has the growth been for you overall with that light? BTW tank looks great.

Thanks! I had excellent growth with the stock light. All the growth shown in last set of pics were from the stock light. I have made some changes to the light though because I wanted a wood hood. This allowed me the ability to add individual reflectors and a way to monitor and maintain the correct operating temps for T5's, works perfect.

You got a nice setup man. I like it.

I appreciate you checking out my build. I had looked at yours earlier looks good. I hate fish can't live with them and without them.

Check Out the sweeper tentacles on this dude. Been stinging the back side of my Acan and the Gorgonian a good 4" from it.

IMAG0131-1.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK it has been quite some time since I have updated this build. This tank has been a huge success in my office, everybody loves it. I have had some losses. I finally ordered some netting from BRS to make a top. This has stop the carpet surfing. I have all but given up on SPS's. I just can't see how to keep them in the long term without a Kalk reactor. Calcium and Alk stability are just to important for them. LPS are much more forgiving.

Fish: I now have 1 Barnacle Blenny, Filament Fin Wrasse, Cherub Angel,Hi Fin/Yellow Nose Goby, Pink Bar Goby sharing my Goby Shrimp and last but not least my Shark Nose Goby. He will actually clean the wrasse and the wrasse will let him do it. It is cool to watch.

Loss my Assessor to the over flow. He swam into the overflow and got draw into the sump filter. By the time I found him it was to late. I have since added a foam filter sock to the overflow intake so this will not happen to another fish. Lost 2 Fire Fin Goby's and another filament fin wrasse to carpet surfing which prompted the top.

Anyway enough chit chat here are some photos.

IMAG0195.jpg

My Shark Goby

IMAG0197.jpg

I am pleased with this clam. It has doubled in size.

IMAG0198.jpgThis Hydrophoria has grow quit a bit.

IMAG0199-1.jpg

I lost my 3 eyed conch in my 135 but this guy keeps going strong in my 20l.

IMAG0200-1.jpg

Nice Duncan

IMAG0201.jpg

My TLF Kalk stirrer is working great for me do you have an ATO? It just hooks right to it.

I have a gravity feed ATO. I'll look into it that but the truth is IMO SPS's are just to much work.

I know what you mean but it's funny in my tank I'm having the opposite problem. The sps are doing great, and the rest are being challenging.

I wish I could get that problem I would love to have some nice SPS's. I am sure it is the usage of the Kalc Reactor is the key to your success. But as you already know SPS's need water stability just one mistake like forget to check you RO/DI system TDS or forget to replace the DI cartridge and over night you can loss every SPS you have.

I wish I could get that problem I would love to have some nice SPS's. I am sure it is the usage of the Kalc Reactor is the key to your success. But as you already know SPS's need water stability just one mistake like forget to check you RO/DI system TDS or forget to replace the DI cartridge and over night you can loss every SPS you have.

Your right about that. I haven't dwelled into the crazy expensive sps yet. But I probably will once me tank hits 10 months I will probably pick up a few real nice sps frags. Hopefully the rest of my coral can catch up to the sps I have.

Your right about that. I haven't dwelled into the crazy expensive sps yet. But I probably will once me tank hits 10 months I will probably pick up a few real nice sps frags. Hopefully the rest of my coral can catch up to the sps I have.

Wish you al the best on the SPS's.

And wouldn't you know it I get to work this morning and I find my Pink Bar Goby laying on top of my Screen top. WTH!. Fish can't live with them and can't live with out them. Geeze!

Archived