Cultivated Reef

nano reef filters?

karenhane

hello.....i have my 5 gallon nano reef....i am right now just using the eclipse filter that came with the tank...just out of curiosity, what are you all using for filters on a nano??

thanks!

Reefer_Buddha

never use a cannister filter. Nitrates will blow up. I dont really have room on my tank for filters, i have my skimmer and fuge that covers it all. IF i was to use one id use an aquaclear i have with carbon. My refugium is the best filtration, the macros clean the tank up nicely.

Just live rock and a sand bed, with a few powerheads to create current.

Water changes also help. If nitrate becomes a problem, here's a link to how to safely rapidly reduce runaway nitrate in your tank using water changes with as little water as possible:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/nitrateco.../l/aa091901.htm

This article is very good, look at the animated picture for a good idea of what the author is talking about.

I think we got karenhane thinking we're crazy;) she prob has her LFS telling her one thing...and trying to sell her a $$$ Fluval can and here we are telling her to use LR. LOL!

karenhane, its true. I have an old Whisper 3 on my 10g with live rock in the compartments...thats it! I am mainly using it to stir water....especailly at the surface.

Karen,

Take a look at my tank and see how I have it set up. I ran a HOB for the first 5-6 months......I love the fuge so much more! Buddha can hook you up with one or a CPR (I only bought my CPR, cuz that was before buddha was "out-of- the-closet" on his acrylic skills).

It adds about 2-2.5 ga of water volume.....making your system more stable. You can remote mount you heater and get it outta the main tank. I have my float switch and auto top off dump in there, so no more "swirlies" of FW and SW mixing in the main tank. It just makes the tank more stable.

If you are looking for something more simple, an AQ mini or 150 will fit perfectly on the 5.5.....but remember to remove the sponge....just run some carbon in there.

Archived