Top Shelf Aquatics

Help... 6 gallon macro algae tank

sponger47

Could anyone give advice on the keys to a "productive" macro algae tank?

I have an extra 6 gallon eclipse. Right now I have it set up with maybe 3-5 lbs of live rock and 2-3 in. of sand bed. This is a separate tank (not looped into any other tank), in my office. I have a 100 gal FOWLR and a 12 gal NANO.

I would like to start harvesting some calupera and other beneficial macro algae in this tank. Then, take clippings to feed to my other tanks...or start more algae in other refugiums.

What would be the best parameters for a tank like this? (to successfully grow macro)

What kind of chemicals should I think about dosing? Kalk? Iron? What should my salinity be at?

So if anyone could post there success stories or info...much appreciated!!:D

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 6 gal eclipse with about 4 in of live sand and 5lbs live rock . I just have pollups and mushrooms in it but I also have grape calupera that grows like crazy. i have to keep yanking the stuff out and tossing it cause it starts overrunning everything. I do a 1 gal water change once a week and I have the stock light hood plus I took out the bio wheel and opened the hatch on top and put a coral life mini light over the opening. The mini light has two 9w bulbs one is daylight and one is actinic. It only cost $25, a cheap lighting setup. ...18watts plus the stock 8 watt ... total 26 watts

thanks for the response Vyger. I am very especially interested with the portion of your response "grape calupera that grows like crazy". I am sure that for you...this is a pain in the ass (to harvest it). But I cannot wait until my 6 gal gets to that point.

Couple of questions though:

So without your bio wheel, all your filtration is through live rock?

And could you list specifics about your tank? Salinity, pH, how many hours you have the lights on? do you dose at all? or are weekly water changes enough?

thanks alot...it would be great if you could post some pics, if you have them.

thanks again

It sure is a pita to havest cause it attaches itself to the rock and also grows into the sand, as a matter of fact i just did it last night cause it was getting out of hand again. I only keep it in there for nutrient export and I don't have any problems with my tank at all, in fact I've never had any algae at all. i have two hermits and one smaller crab in there and I usually throw some fish flakes in for them to snack on....wouldn't want them to starve for lack of algae.. The rock and live sand are the only filtration I have but I do have aquaclear mini HOB for water circulation and and little amount of carbon. i just trimmed the hood in the back for it to fit.I was doseing with 2 ml of B Ionic every other day but sometimes i foget and I haven't seen any ill effects with or without it. Not sure if the calupera grows better with dosing or not. I think the weekly water changes are enough. I keep the salinity high ...around 1.025 but try not to let it get any higher than that and I have never taken a ph reading ...I guess cause I haven't had any problems.. I had a 30gal reef and tore it down to start this tank because I had such a problem with algae, and i must be doing something right cause I have no prob.. I keep the lights on for 12 hrs . I 've taken some pics of the tank but they come out really bad...they do not not do the tank justice that's why i never post any. Hope this answers most of your questions. Also this tank has been up and running about 7 months...

Archived