Innovative Marine Aquariums

Starfish for Nano

kelley_mc

Anyone have any thoughts on a good hardy starfish for my 10 gal with 20 lbs live sand and 13 lbs live rock? Current inhabitants are 7 red legged hermit crabs, 5 turbo snails and 1 tank raised clown. Also, what is their effect on the system bioload?

Thanks!

hi jsut got alot of exp on the thread above yours "Starfish Anyone?"

Seems like the brittle is the way to go, it is a scavenger and will clean your tank, nocturnal though. Some have linkia too, a slow acclimation is the way to go, learn from my mistake. Take care

I have read on the internet that brittle stars can grow up to 12 inches. A 10 gal tank is only 20 inches long and 12 inches wide. How quickly do these guys grow before they will be uncomfortable in such a small area? Also, if they like to hide, how well can they hide in such a small space? Finally, do these guys add a lot to the bioload of the tank? Obviously a concern with nanos.

brittles are good, then come linckia and then fromia (in that order imho) fromias are rather hard and don't tend to fare well in small systems (need mad acclimation too...), linckia species tend to do better but surely are nowhere near as tough as brittle stars... I'd tend to recommend these species for the seasoned aquarist...

Archived