Innovative Marine Aquariums

powerhead too strong?

MarineMiLk

hi i was wondering if a powersweep rated at 196gph is too much for a 5.5g nano?...i got it free so i used it...any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

questions such as too much or too little are very subjective and dependent upon each setup: sps, softie, FOWLR, invert, combo, etc.

your aquascaping also plays significant factor in too much or little flow/lighting/space. just like in the ocean, the physical features of a system play an important factor on the success of a reef. otherwise, we'd have reefs lining every shore between the tropics in the oceans. some places/setups are more conducive to reefs than others.

200gph is a tad much for a 5g imo. hth

I've always tried to use powerheads rated at ten tank volumes per hour or so. I'm afraid that powerhead might be a little too much. Aqua clear mini-jets would probably do better.

Like tiny says: "it depends!"

I've got 215 gph in my tank (microjet 320 and rio 200 driving my fuge)...that 39x turnover in my tank.....I WANT MORE FLOW! I have alot of SPS though......probably gonna get another microjet.

The bigger question for the 5.5 is why a powersweep? I understand the attraction to the sweep function, but those things are huge!! In a 5.5, realestate is at a minimum, that's why I went with the microjet (or an aquaglobe).

Archived