Cultivated Reef

New Fan WIring Idea

stephen

If I buy a 12v dc fan from radiochack, I was wondering if I could just wire it to the lighting system (the two wires that go to the wall jack). Is this possible, or do I need to buy one of those dc current converters?

You need a converter. A 12V fan requires 10-14V of DC power. Giving it 110V of alternating power will make it spasm then blow out. Amusing, but a waste of money. :)

You could, however, wire the power converter into the lighting wires, if you wanted the same switch to control it all.

Looking at the connections of bothe the fan and the converter...

The converter has the kind of connectors that go into portable devices, and the fan has a red wire and a black wire.

Pardon my ignorance, but how dat gonna work?

Ah, I didn't realize you were using a packaged convertor like that. In that case, you're pretty much SOL.

Anyway, it later dawned on me that most ballast switches are on the ballast output, so they couldn't be used for the fan anyhow. If the switch is on the wall-socket side of the ballast, or you're just using a timer to control the ballast, then a convertor could be wired into the ballast power cord.

Maybe the easiest method, since you already have a packaged converter with wall-socket prongs on it, would be to use a single timer and have thm both plugged into it using a 1-to-3 outlet adapter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stephen

I just read your post. Are you saying you haven't got the fan yet?

If you haven't, another option is to get a used 12v Computer cooling fan, and go to a local thrift shop and get a 12v phone converter at the most it cost me $2.50 Canadian for both. The computer fans come in a few sizes from 1in up to 4in and you can get a used one at any computer repair shop, they usualy just throw them out. As for the converter just check the amp req. on the fan and get the same converter amp. For mine I had to spend about 15min looking for one. But heck for the price.

So much for my 2 cents worth,

leslr.

Hi John

Power converter/phone converter both the same sorry just wording.

Any cordless phones power supplyyou plug into the wall. the greater majority are 120v/12v. The only thing that really varys is the amps.

leslr

Archived