Top Shelf Aquatics

Only a clean up crew?

CU_Reefer

My cycle has been done for about three weeks now but due to the sparse nature of the LFS in the area I have been unable to get a clean up crew. This weekend I will finally be able to make the trek to the closest LFS that deals in salt water, 2.5 hrs away. I know I should go slow but would it be possible to add my clean up crew and a hardy coral of some type. Perhaps some star polyps or something. I have a 2.5 gal with 2 19watt daylight curlies.

Any advice would be great.

matt the fiddler

a star will competly overrun that tank.. lol be prepared to trim

that or the standard shrooms or zoos.

zoos you could trade later.. every one has green stars.. no one with cooler corals wants shrooms...

GSP won't overrun a tank with proper placement. Just put it somewhere away from the main rock work....maybe train it to attach to the glass.

I agree with Matt that everyone has GSP....maybe look for a nice shroom or zoo rock (blues, pinks, and reds are usually the best for trading). Don't get sucked into buying some "rare" brown or green zoos

I'd go with zooanthus and hardy shrooms (non ricordea) as a first coral. Add them one at a a time (or one small clump or rock) and give the tank 2-3 weeks to adjust to the new bio mass.

Most of my LFS's also suck in my area, and i'm reduced to using the internet for a lot of supplies and inverts. Some of the sponsors here are very good, and www.garf.org can overnight you great janitor packs specifically tailored to your tank. You describe the setup, they send you the right number of four different kinds of reef safe snails and true mexican red legged hermit crabs (the little ones). They also carry coral frags!

CU_Reefer -

Don't listen to Matt the Fiddler. He plays to a different tune. Any mushroom type soft coral would be a great first coral to start with now. When your new coral gets settled in and starts to grow you will know that you are ready for another coral.

matt the fiddler

:rolleyes: "Any mushroom type soft coral would be a great first coral to start with now"

that is kinda what i said.. but now that i read didn't quite say what i meant to... ...

hey- everyone has got to find their tune.. as an acoustic person- you should see the value of my 5 strings B)

matt the fiddler

speaking of rics.. i might havea batch ready for trading soon ;-) bright green.. the sooner you get something that you can trade- the sooner you get better stuff when you frag it.. yes get hardy.. but think towards the future

Archived