75 members have voted

1. 1. never done a poll before

• tunze 9002
    • aquac remora
    • reef octo
    • deltec
    • cpr
    • other?

Coralife 65 Skimmer, 3 months. I love it. Easy to adjust, very consistent. Can run in the sump or hang on. My design was to have it in the sump, but that didn't work out. Hang on works fine.

Dislikes ; I guess its loud, but its not louder than my overflow. I dislike that if the power comes back on the skimmer is likely to overflow because of the temporary high water level, but that's not its fault.

except when HOB it's god awful ugly. i used one of those in my sump as well, they do an okay job. def not the best, worth it to spend the money on just about anything else...

coralife_65_skimmer_8_days.jpg

8 days of skimmate in a 40 breeder with 3 fish.

coralife_skimmer_goo.jpg

Not bad for a used skimmer that cost me 50 bucks.

kinda leaning towards the aquamaxx. anyone here run one?

I've been running one of the HOBs for just over 3 months. Works great, I'm still amazed at the crap it pulls out. Heavy-duty build, especially the collection cup. Setting the collection cup height took a couple days to get the right balance between wet/dry skim, but now I have it dialed in. I didn't like the stock intake and output piping as it is chunky grey PVC elbows so I replaced the intake with 1/2" loc-line and the output with 3/4" loc-line. If you do this just use a little teflon tape and slide the fitting over; no leaks. It runs fairly quiet but don't have another skimmer to compare it to. The click of my Koralia coming on is louder. It did have a problem with microbubbles during the break-in. After cleaning it clears on it's own after a couple minutes. Cleaning is easy as the whole thing comes apart and having the elbow in the collection cup is a nice safety feature. Overall I would recommend it and would buy it again.

I don't believe WM has skimmers anymore. The Aquamaxx is just a rebrand of a JNS, which is what WM used to do. I could be wrong though. ;)

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/06/14/aquamax...-cone-skimmers/

http://www.jns.idv.tw/index.php?lang=eng

I have a CPR Aeroforce on my Solana. Bought it used for $100. If I were buying new I probably would have gotten an Aquamaxx HOB but for $100 it's fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...
SWC is totally worth it if you got the extra money for a 120

I have an SWC 160 and love it, works great. But it does put out a bit in the micro bubbles.

I have an SWC 160 and love it, works great. But it does put out a bit in the micro bubbles.

I got the 160 as well. It does occasionally put out some micro bubbles but the baffles in my sump help stop them from getting into the main tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Old thread, but my 5c. I got a good deal on a new Bubble Magus NAC3+, which I snapped up and have been running for a week. Got pretty dry skimmate on day 1 - my only problem has been keeping the occasional bubble algae from clogging the intake (still working on getting rid of all the BA). My main priority was finding the smallest footprint for my 10g sump so I had more space for fuge - I think the NAC3+ and NAC3.5 have some of the smallest footprints for $150-$180.

For HOB, I would definitely go with an external pump. No experience with these but the eshopps psk 75h and 100h seem to be a really good bang for the buck, but if your wife had given the go ahead for up to $200, then I would go with the AquaMaxx HOB-1.

BLoCkCliMbeR
So what did Santa bring?

a friggin nook :angry:

i made her take that garbage back. she said that she wanted to get me something that i would actually use on the ship. her heart was in the right place, but i wanted that aquamaxx. i would have settled for a PSP

they had em on sale too (180)at a LFS so i got some hands on time with one. LFS ape had nothing but good things to say about it, one of them actually has one running on a tank.

real solid piece of equipment. made up my mind, aquamaxx it is

octo160 or swc 160 (same thing) work excellent but not hob style. the aquamaxx is a rebanded wm so it will work well for you. the i have had remoras in the past and they are so so, they pretty much make tea and can be pretty noisy.

I voted for the aquac because I have one, but you need to take it off that list. It was produce a snowstorm of bubbles inside your tank and I can never get the skimmerage to a thick green like other skimmers. GL

nanoreefsurf

I have the SWC 150. Its basically the same exact skimmer as the Octo NWB but built stronger. I like it. I skim extremely dry though, so it takes a good week to get skimmate that is noteworthy.

thadscottmoore

I was running a sapphire aquatics skimmer, but- replaced with the tunze 9002 with the stevieT cup. not a bad little skimmer after the airline modification! before the mod, it was hard to adjust... easy and productive now!!!

I use the Aqua C Remora with drain on my 57g and in a month's time it pulls this outta my tank.

skimmate50g01-10-2011.jpg

It took about 6 months to break in because I used tapwater and conditioner at the time, but once it did, has it ever worked.

I have a Reef Octo Extreme 200 on the 180. I've had it for a year now and love it. Top notch quality for a reasonably priced skimmer.

I'm using the same skimmer, 'cept it's on a 40g. Overkill, yep. Peace o' mind knowing my water quality is great, yep.

Archived