Innovative Marine Aquariums

MH added to JBJ Formosa DX 30" (retrofit)

scbauer

Hey everyone... I was considering the possibility of adding 1 or 2 175W MH bulbs into the JBJ Formosa DX fixture that I have. My current fixture is the 30" type to go over my 20L (originally for my 36-bow).

The JBJ currently has 2 65W PC bulbs, and I wanted to put both actinics in there, and then somehow mount 2 Ushio 10,000K 175W bulbs at either end.

I know there are other issues to deal with like the heat and the wiring, but my main concern is fitting them into the fixture .

The JBJ has a fairly thin acrilic piece between the bulbs and the water, and I would like to keep that in because that creates a good air channel for the fans to keep this thing cool. The MH will probably be too much for those small fans. Okay, so if that's the deal, I'll take the plexi-glass off.

If I have to take the plexi-glass out, then I don't see why I couldn't fit the MH bulbs into this system, do you? Ok, I think I keep repeating the same thing, so I'll just let you guys discuss this.

Keep in mind that the Formosa DX does have a few fans built in... I would probably add a few more.

I tried attaching a picture of the light fixture, but it was too big. Here is the site with a picture... Remember, mine is smaller:

2 bulbs (24" each)

2 fans

30" total length

http://www.jbjlighting.com/sys_formosa_dx.html

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas/comments you guys have.

-Scott

you're gonna need WAY bigger fans.... :) you might not have the space to add more.

...also 175 watters are kinda large in diameter, with the socket and all. 150 DE should work nicely. lower profile.

I'm trying to do the same thing over my 8gal Jalli. I have the 20" formosa model (2X32) and am trying to figure out how to add a 70W MH and still retain the stock appearence.

Obviously the plastic shield has to be replaced with glass.

My though was to upgrade the fans with some computer fans that flow around 60CFM. Though they're 12volt, I have to have a remote ballast for the MH, so adding a power supply to the remote box won't be that big a deal.

I'll be starting work on it this weekend. I'll keep you posted as to the progress.

Archived