Top Shelf Aquatics

Aptasia?

Blinkgyrl2987

Blinkgyrl2987

Okay I don't know what has popped up in my tank but on a piece of my live rock there is a small.. whitish clearish looking thing that is somewhat like an anemone....it looks like tentacles to me( the reason I thought it might be an anemone) but I don't know what to think.... it has a small tube like thing in the center of it.

Now I hope this isn't something bad.. but isn't aptasia usually brown? I've had my lights out for sometime because my ballast had blown out.... but now that I have it fixed and working again.... new things seem to be popping out in response to the light.... ( feather dusters and such) I've looked at a bunch of pics of aptasia and none of them seem to perfectly match mine... unfortunatly theres no way I can show pic ( no camera) the best i can do is describe it to you and see if anyone can help me with this... I want to get rid of it ..if it is something bad.... thanks a alot... Megan~

someone told me that to tell aptasia from a feather duster which it could be.. is try to touch it aptasia won't move and a feather duster should suck in. but if it is aptasia get a couple of peppermint shrimp, some will agree some won't, but personally i've had great sucess w/ mine and they are scavengers so if something dies they are great at cleanning it up!!!!!! good luck

Blinkgyrl2987

well I already tried to see if it would suck in and it doesn't I know it isn't a feather duster... what I'm saying is there any posibly that it isn't a bad anemone? could there be something else that actually isn't an anemone at all... that just looks like one? I don't really want to put peps in my tank.... I am afraid they will pick at my corals when I get them...... but hey if I have to I will ....I'd just really like to determine if thats what it is or not! can aptasia survive without light or is it dependent on light.. because i've been without light for like 3 weeks now ..I just got my lights back on 2 days ago.....Pllease help me ....anyone! lol any info you got can help

Aiptasia do not need light, and catch their food with their tentacles. Aiptasia will retract if irritated. Most anemones will, and aiptasias like to keep their bases in little hidey holes too. These holes won't, however, look like calcarious worm tubes, but just holes in the live rock.

My easy cure is to take a plug of well chewed sugar free gum or marine safe epoxy, irritate them on purpose so they'll shrink, and plug them up in their holes with a little piece of the gum or epoxy. Coral algae will grow right over it, and it buries the aiptasia anemones alive...

Blinkgyrl2987

OMG That is such a good idea.... I want to do that... but I feel bad ..I tried touching it last night and well it did shrink into its hole...so I was like phew! its just a feather duster but now you guys are telling me it stilll could be aptasia if it sucks in.... hmmmmm what to do!

It is pretty.... I want to believe its a feather duster... the only thing I noticed tonight is that it seems to be stretching out of its hole! like the tube part is coming out further and is bending a lil ( it looks some what like the pic above.... no brown color though).... can't really get the closest look because it is a akward place .....but anyways ...let me know... what you think.. thanks

Blinkgyrl2987

Okay I'm pretty sure it is something bad now.. it seems to have moved! the base no longer seems to be in a hole either.. The base is a small jelly like clear blob.. ( in fact I've seen this blob in my tank before moving...I just didn't know what it was... but it had never extended the tube like thing or tenticles) Does this sound like the aptasia... or something else? Please help ... I' am chewing a piece of gum now though...lol ummm will gum hurt the tank? hope not cuz I think I'm doing it later.. don't want to take a chance.. thanks again Megan

the best thing that i can tell you to do if you don't want the pepp shrimp is to stick a needle of kalwasser into it. i'm not sure how much do a search and it should come up. good luck!!!!

Archived