SaltCritters.com

What's the best way to frag chalices?

reefer916

Hey everyone,

I'm picking up some nice colonies of Bubblegum Monster, Tyrant, Aien eye, and a few others this weekend. I want to frag up the BGM and Alien eye colonies to recoup some of the cost of the coral. Of course, I will be offering multiple eyed frags cheap to you guys. However, I just got into chalices over the last two months and haven't fragged them yet.

Could I do it without a ban saw or would you recommend for me to find a local reefer who has one. The BGM is about 80 eyes and the Alien Eye is well over 100 and they are on the same large rock. I'll post pics later to get your opinion on where you'd recommend to start. Thanks for the advice and Happy Thanksgiving.

Chris

really depends on the thickness of the skeleton. I used bone cutters, wire cutters may work. i don't like dremmels due to the heat they create. You can always just take a razor and a small hammer to them.

No chainsaw or dremmel, but I heard the same that they do get hot and could cause tissue loss.

I've got cutters for my sps and lps that I could use. I've got a few scalpels, hammers, and razorblades.

After fragging should I dip in Iodine, Revive, or Coral Rx? I've got all three, but the revive seems to be the harshest.

Thanks guys

yea i would dip them in coralRX after cutting no matter what. Whatever you use to cut, I would imagine that the sharper the blade the better, for a faster less stressful cut.

Thanks guys,

Anyone live near Sacramento with a tilesaw? I'll hook who ever up with some nice frags from the colonies:) Worst case scenario I have to keep these sweet colonies intact and let them grow out more, until I pick up a saw.

Archived