SaltCritters.com

rocks have arms?

mrdirtjr

i was looking at my tank today and i noticed that in several places there were these clear arms coming out of my rock. they would come out of the rock and run across the sand. they would then pick of grains of sand and then pull them back in with themselves. does anyone know what these are? thanks

ATTACK OF THE SPAGHETTI WORMS!!!

Hehehe. Live rock is full of cool stuff. What you're probably looking at are small worms. They make wonderful scavengers and often probe the tank for bits and pieces of edibles. If you really want to see all of the really cool hidden life in your LR, cover a flashlight with red cellophane ("party" shrink wrap) and cut off all of the light in the room with the tanks in it for an hour. Sneak into the room with the red flashlight and close the door. Give the room 15 minutes to adjust (you'll need to sit there in the dark) back to darkness, then turn on your flashlight.

Noctournal coral animals aren't sensitive to red light, and you'll be shocked and amazed at all of the tubeworms, copepods (shrimps) worms and other cool stuff out and about. Corals will extend their sweeping/feeding tentacles and graze about.

It's just amazing.

Archived