Cultivated Reef

Refugium trouble...

Squared

I run an aquaclear 70 fuge, but the problem is, I don't think it is healthy. The cheato seems to be slowly thining out, with hair algea on it, and I thought cheato was hardy? :huh: I am trying the mag. to 1600 for the hair algea. I also keep my harly's feeder stars in there, and the may sometimes be found on it. Could they be eating it?

There's a 7w PC lamp on it, and a small piece of rock. There also seems to be some planaria in there.

I look forward to a well populated mini-fuge, so my wrasse can eat well.

And also I have a good amount of halimeda in my tank, and brown slime and hair algea seems to be growing on it. It is still growing, but it just dosn't look that good.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

I had somewhat similar troubles. The top of the chato would fade in color and become really thin and weak, but he underside was always dark and full. From an article I can't find now, I learned that Chato needs to tumble, and that if one side of the ball is always exposed to the light, it will bleach out and die. This can be avoided if the flow is really high, but most of the time fuges have relatively low amounts of flow.

Long story short... rotating the ball every day or two might help.

Cheers!

Interesting...now that you mention it bubbles caught in my cheato to keep it afloat near the surface...I will try rotating. Thanks.

But my poor halimeda still looks a little crummy...

Interesting...now that you mention it bubbles caught in my cheato to keep it afloat near the surface...I will try rotating. Thanks.

But my poor halimeda still looks a little crummy...

Calcium and alkalinity concentrations? Also, salinity, phosphate, and nitrate.

cheato grow very slowly in my tanks as well.

Try caulerpa prolifera. That really grow like weeds and it absorb a lot of nitrates doing so. It is the fastest growing micro-algae I have ever seen. Can't beat that.

Don't ever put it in your main tank as it will take over in no time. It's only good for a sump or refugium.

I run an aquaclear 70 fuge, but the problem is, I don't think it is healthy. The cheato seems to be slowly thining out, with hair algea on it, and I thought cheato was hardy? :huh: I am trying the mag. to 1600 for the hair algea. I also keep my harly's feeder stars in there, and the may sometimes be found on it. Could they be eating it?

There's a 7w PC lamp on it, and a small piece of rock. There also seems to be some planaria in there.

I look forward to a well populated mini-fuge, so my wrasse can eat well.

And also I have a good amount of halimeda in my tank, and brown slime and hair algea seems to be growing on it. It is still growing, but it just dosn't look that good.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

check with local regulations before you use caulerpa; it is illegal in several states (like CA and HI and ... others?)

• 2 weeks later...

while caulerpa can be very effective it also has some major draw backs when compared to cheato. be careful when contemplating its use.

Archived