Top Shelf Aquatics

Where should I go?

newbiefishgirl

newbiefishgirl

I want to support the sponcers on here and buy from them. Not only for them, but because I trust them more than the LFS in town. But I also can't afford to HUGH shipping cost either. Can anyone recommend one of the sponcers that doesn't charge a really large cost to ship just a few inverts?

I am wanting to get a few red leg hermits, a mexican turbo, and few other little things.

Any input would help.

:o

TheCurriculum

try posting in the Invertebrate Forum

I don't know myself or would guess... but you should be able to go to the links and look up the shipping cost....

Have a great day :D

The shipping of live goods, like janitor packs of snails and hermit crabs, is quite pricey for a reason:

They're shipping you live animals. Which means in order to get them to you as fast as possible without dying in transit, you will need to have them overnighted to you via Fedex or DHL, etc.

It's not that they want to charge you so much, it's just that it's the only logical way to send live animals. Often, they have to pack heater or cooling packs with the live animals depending on the time of the year, and anything less than overnight shipping means there's a risk your box of fish/inverts can sit in an unheated or unairconditioned shipping warehouse, or even an airport tarmac, for extended periods of time. Since no one wants ice cube snails or boil in the bag hermits, expidited shipping is the only way to go.

Make sure when you order supplies from an online resource, to order live goods in one order, and your dry goods in another order, to prevent having to pay for overnight shipping on your regular order of dry goods. For example, i might want a coral frag and a 40 lb. bag of sea salt, but there's no sense in paying fedex overnight on sea salt if you don't need it right away.

Since shipping is done by weights, it's food for thought if ordering a bunch of stuff.

group buys are another option but then you'd have to meet some of us weirdos and quite frankly, i wouldn't let my daughters near half of you's. :ermm:

liveaquaria.com is actually the most reasonable livestock shipper freight cost-wise but their choices and prices for livestock (other than fish) leave something to be desired.

seacrop's nano pack is a good deal.

what is there to trust in the LFS if you just want some invertebrates? If you know what you want, walk in and get them and leave. It will save you $40 on $10 worth of snails and hermits.

Have you checked out reefer madness? I am looking to order live rock off the internet and they seemed to have good prices. I dont have any rock from them yet so cant say the quality...sorry. If anyone has ordered from them pleaz describe for us! I live in NE Minnesota and live rock prices up here (low quality) range from $7-13 a pound! So I may order from reefer madness.

Originally posted by tinyreef

quite frankly, i wouldn't let my daughters near half of you's. :ermm:  

are they leagal? Send'em to PSU when the time comes :)

if you know the barney song, you pass their litmus test. for really mature men they insist on blue's clues.

either way, you have to dodge three shots from my beretta (i'm willing to give you a chance). btw i use hollow points.

Archived