Pod Your Reef

Raising my pH after my cycle

trmiv

OK, my tank has been up for about 1 1/2 weeks now, and appears to be cycled completely. I saw the ammonia, nitrate spike, and now both have gone down to 0, and nitrate is about 10. During my cycle, my pH hit a low of 7.55 (wow!), but now it's back up to to 7.9. Obviously it needs to be raised a bit, but what is the best way? Should I go the baking soda and washing soda route (cheap, doesn't look easy though), or something else? I'm also considering the Sea-Lab #28 blocks and some of the #14 powder.

Any other methods? Also, I don't want to do it too fast because there are about 9 hermits, 5 astrea snails and a peppermint shrimp in there.

I did a little search on pH but didn't get back a lot of relavent results.

Is it low because of CO2? Take some water out and put a air stone in it for 12-24hrs, then test that water. See if you get 8.2-8.3. If so get some more water movement going on the surface. Other then that you could get APs Propper pH 8.2 or some SeaChem buffers.

I could try that, but I don't know if that would be it. I've got some decent surface movement, including a powerhead that aggitates the surface a bit, AC 150 that overflows onto the surface, and my fuge that exits right close to the surface and creates some bubbles. Plus I run both my fuge and tank uncovered.

Archived