Innovative Marine Aquariums

Feeding Corals

Puffy

hi i'm going to have a small air drivin protien skimmer...how long do i run this? i heard 10 hours a day...6 days a week ??? But with zoos...polyps...and shrooms....what will i need to feed them? both types of Plankton? Iodine? How much and what kind should i buy? Liquid form? this is going to be in a small jbj Nanocube...with one fish and like 10 snails if that. Maybe 9 lol so anyways thanx!

How long you run a protein skimmer depends on 2 things... bio load and personal preference. I don't use a protein skimmer at all. You can overskim a tank and most small tanks really don't need one.

As for feeding corals...

I never directly feed my shrooms or zoos. What do you mean by "both types" of phytoplankton? There are several different brands that have phytos of differing sizes. I use kent phytoplex and dose the tank a couple of times a week. Others recommend DT's, but I don't want to spend the money for the shipping.

Do NOT dose iodine unless you have tested your tank water and found that there is a deficiency.

I directly feed my zoos and ricordias with cyclop-eeze. it helps bring out the color and lets them grow faster. your corals are getting most of their nutrients from their zooxanthellae by photosythesis. they still do need to eat though, and they are eating phyto, detritus, zooplankton as it drifts through the water column. A good Idea is to blow off your LR every week when your adding water during a water change.

ok what are some stuff that i don't need to feed...like shrooms and what else? I'm just going to leave this tank plain and simple? I want like alot of shrooms.....maybe just have them? lol thanx

Protien skimmer...How long do I run this?

- 24 / 7

But with zoos...polyps...and shrooms....What will I need to feed them?

- Don't overcomplicate things. Dose Iodine weekly and kalkwasser with every freshwater top off. All these guys need is good light.

Archived