Cultivated Reef

Carbon??

yeroc40

I run a small whisper HOB filter and was wondering how do you run carbon? Meaning, what do you put it in?

I’ve been using the filter media with the carbon inside, but I don’t think this is the preferred method for a couple reasons. 1. If it is done this way it is suggested that the filter be cleaned often = too much work. 2. The filter media removes too much good stuff, i.e. pods.

Am I on the right track?

There are several options that you have if you wish to run carbon. You can buy small bags from your LFS that you can place carbon into and tie off. This you can then just place in yuor HOB. If you do a search of this website, you will find that some people use carbon 24/7, some use it off and on, and some never use it. I tend to use it off and on. I found that several of my polyp corals closed up for a few days after changing carbon...may be do to an increased clarity of the water, change in chemical composition of the water, etc... They soon open up again when readusted. SOme people recommend changing only half of the carbon with new stuff once a month or so, to prevent the shock to the system. I would recommend trying different things to see what works best for you.

If you use it or not I'd run a phosphate remover in there such as SeaChem PhosGaurd. I have a feeling if you don't you'll be back here asking how to get rid of hair algae :). I have a skimmer and I still run carbon sometimes. It's an open top tank so I'm not willing to take the chances if something in the air gets in the water. You could go with a carbon alternitve such as ChemiPure or SeaChems Purigen. I've used Purigen since I started and it's 353525 times better then carbon. I got it in an already sealed filter bag 100ml, and you never have to replace it, just after 4-6 months soak it in bleach for 24hrs and it's ready to go again.

http://www.seachem.com/en_products/product...16_purigen.html

Archived