Pod Your Reef

Distill. H2O, yay or nay, I want your opinion!

tah532

I have a 38gal FOWLR tank and am getting ready to start a 12gal nano. I have heard differing opinions on the use of store bought distilled water for topoff and bulk water change. So let me hear your rants and raves! Give'm to me!!

I'm still new at this too, but if I remember correctly....RO/DI would be the best choice obviously....then just regular RO(which some grocery stores sell)...then distilled....it isn't the best choice but it is far better than using even filtered and aged tap water.

They say RO/DI first because you know about heavy metals being removed. In theory distilled water is pure water, but sometimes it's not. Purple Capped bottles from walmart are great. If you can't get those then use just plain RO water, but plain RO water is not the best source.

The best choice is glass steam distilled water. This water is absolutely pure. Metallic steam distillers can leave trace metals behind and warrant the use of metal removing compounds (copper / aluminum coil units). Steam distillers run very hot and should be installed in a garage or a large laundry room.

Reverse osmosis water will be 95-98% pure, and if run through a deionizing bed of cati/ani resins, will be about 99.5% pure. You can buy RO/DI equipment at many plumbing and hardware stores, water companies sell them, or even online. They will create waste water (approx. 1 gal. pure to 3 gal. waste +/-) and need regular servicing.

Be careful with store bought water. Not all of it is created equal. "Nautral" or "Spring" waters are often treated with bacteriacides and may or may not be very pure. Water out of machines may be distilled, RO, or RO/DI water depending on the machine. Steamed distilled, however, is available right off the shelf.

You may have to add buffering compounds to any purified water before adding a salt mix or even when using it as evaporation make up water. With very little in it, just a small amount of a substance can make the water acidic or alkaline, therefore the buffers create a more stable water.

Yeah be careful with the purity of your water. Distilled and RO/DI water may be fantastic for reef aquaria with a good sea salt mix, but sea salts add back a lot of the necessary trace elements and minerals live rock and corals need.

I wouldn't use it strictly as drinking water, unless you yourself are adding back trace elements and minerals. The human body needs a lot of those trace elements and minerals, and we don't typically drink sea water mix (unless you get screwed up mixing margaritas or something). In any event, take a good multi-vite if you're going to drink such pure water.

Archived