Top Shelf Aquatics

FasTest Kit Confusing - HELP!

DSparks

OK, so I've been cycling my tank for about 11 days and decide it's time for my first set of tests. I buy a FasTest kit online for a great price. It has Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, and PH tests in it. For the life of me I can't figure out how to read the things. Sure, I can match up colors, but the numbers are throwing me.

For instance, The ammonia chart has numbers ranging from 0.0 to 0.8 and says it's milligrams/liter. Then the nitrate chart has numbers 10 through 100, and also says milligrams/liter. Finally, the Nitrite chart has two sets of numbers, 2 through 10 and 0.2 through 1.0. Wow, what's it all mean, and how to I get to parts per million?

All my readings were below the lowest values on all tests, so either:

A) I'm cycled; or

B) I haven't started cycling.

I used the live sand in a bag stuff, and I've read that really kicks in the cycle quick. But the live rock didn't have much stuff on it to die off. Anyways, to sum it up, I have two questions:

1) How on earth do I get PPM from the numbers on the test kits?

2) Does it sound possible for me to be through the cycle this early in the game? Regardless I'll still probably wait a few more weeks, but it'd be nice to know.

Sorry for the confusing post. I appreciate your help!

I'm no expert here and it's been a long time since high school and college. But according to the manual of my Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test, mg/L is 'equivilent' to ppm.

Archived