Pod Your Reef

Anyone retrofited the ViaAqua hood with a MH bulb?

sandsrfr

I've got one of those 18gallon via aquas with the metal hood (2x36 watt pc bulbs in it).

I'd like to upgrade the lighting on this setup because I've noticed alot of color drop in my zoos at the bottom of the tank.

I thought I saw someone who did this, but couldn't turn it up again in the search?

Hoping for pics/recommendations/instructions/parts or whatever else might be floating out there on something like this!

Otherwise I'll need to start pulling out of savings to buy that new 20/30L and 1 or 2 MH pendants, a azoo micro-chiller..... ;), as tempting as that sounds, I'd rather not spend the money right now, but I don't want to see more color loss in the corals :(

Thanks,

Jason

Reefer_Buddha

the whole myth about halides and a chiller needs to be debunked NOW. Search and read and youll see you dont need one. Since the lights give the water more aeration space the temp can be stable or even go down.

I hear ya, actually, I wouldn't be getting the chiller for that reason. The location where the tank currently is, along with the summer heat here on the west coast kills my tank. Currently I have to use a fan and also have a chiller probe/hang-on filter to keep the system stable.

I was just saying that when I do move into a new setup, I am going to go all the way and do it right (well the way I really want to that is). Tank, chiller/heater plummed into some closed loop circulation systme, and either a refrugium or sump.

I like my current tank alot, but my next setup I would like to be a step up. ;)

So noones seen a DIY retro of one of the via aqua hoods (mh insertion)? hehehe... its metal so it should handle it, with the exception of the acrylic shield that I would need to get a piece of glass replacement for.

I just don't know if there is room inside, as well as what needs to be done to vent the inside chamber (as the current hood has minimal vent holes on the left/right plastic endcaps).

If all else, I'll just have to start pricing some of those round pendants or one of those nice slim/sleek looking ones I saw before (i think european).

Reefer_Buddha

ya i think there is a diy via aqua hood that someone put a 70w halide in. If you go to championlighting also there's a section called Macro HQI Fixtures which is like the via aqua hood. I plan on doin the same kinda diy on a CSL 30" for my 20l. 2x65 w/ actinic and a 70w (possibly 2) mh in the middle. KrakerG did a cool one that i wana duplicate.

Archived