Cultivated Reef

Crabs other than hermits for a 10 gallon

kelp

Anybody have any suggestions for crabs other than hermits in a ten gallon? I have 2 small blue leg hermits in there now.

Eventually want to have 1 small clownfish, a catalina goby,a fire shrimp and a skunk cleaner shrimp. Plan on keeping a variety of corals too. Currently I have a small colony of button polyps that hitchiked in on my rock.

Also, whats the most recommended type of snails? I hear some people have problems with astreas dying very easily.

Hey there kelp,

I just wanted to give you a heads up on the Catalina Goby. I have read that these Gobies do not usually do well in a home reef system because they are very temperature specific. Water around Catalina Island here in Southern CA does not ever get any where near as high as the temperatures we keep our reef systems. Basically what I am saying is that Catalina Gobies are a cold water fish and will probably not do well over time in a Nano environment.

I am not sure on crab choices for your 10gal.

As far as Astrea snails dying, my Astrea snails do not turn over and die as I have read others have. I bought 3 when I started my tank, and there are still 3! (2months later) I have seen an Astrea on its back only once, and it used 2 hermit crabs to get itself turned over. I took pictures of this because it was quite comical.

Just my $.02,

Gil

Astrea snails are about the most hardy snails I have ever kept. They lived though my tank being 90 degrees! I wouldnt want anyone else to try it because I got lucky. but as far as Astrea snails not living thats not true. My tank is 6 months old and I haven't lost any Astrea snails. They can turn themselfs over they always do in my tank. In the case that you have sand on the bottom of your tank (which i dont) I would be careful if you see them on thier backs because they cant grab onto sand.

Mattdog,

It's been running 2 1/2 weeks. I have tested every day and watched it go through they initial cycling process. I started with

13.5 lbs of well cured rock and a raw shrimp. All the essential test readings are at 0.00 and a couple days ago I started getting some diatom blooms and a little green hair algae on some of my Tonga pieces. I had one blueleg hermit that hitchhiked in on the rock and added one more a few days ago. I also had a few button polyps that came in on the rock and they have already sprouted 5 new offspring that opened up. My set up is

10 gal leader all glass

15 lbs of aragonite

2 minijet powerheads

1 mini penguin hob with filter removed most of the time

2 x 36w bright kit from AH supply 1 10k day, 1 03 blue both from

Hellolights

Reef Crystals Salt

Calcium started low so I dose B-Ionic. Went from 270 to 370 in a week and alk and ph are rock solid.

Anybody have a suggestion on a good fish to pair with a clown?

I'd like some type of goby or blenny that would match well.

you could possibly get an emerald (or mithrax) crab but i've heard they can have some problems with aggression. a porcelin anemone crab would be a good choice, but they are filter feeders.

spoondigity

If you are looking for a gobi I would look for something that will remain small and also make sure your tank is completely covered so it can't jump out. Maybe a clown gobi, twin spotted (little more costly, I think I saw one for $30 locally), or a green stipped. I can get a clown gobi for around $11.00 at my lfs so they are not too bad on price. You may not see him a lot though. Most of those small ones tend to hide out a lot under something.

i'd reccomend a red head goby, they look cool, stay small and can handle a tank that is only 10 gallons. trust me on this, you will not be disappointed. altho catalina's look cool as all hell please dont get one since the temps will be way too warm for them.

korona

i have 2 scooters..and i love them...

as of crabs go...get a Mitherile / Emerald Crab, or Fidler crab..either one of them should cost you over $5-$8 ea

there are so many different types of hermits too...you should look into them...they do a great job...

but i still love the emerald crabs..they will pick on algae all day long..except when they molt, they scare the crap out of me..cuz the left over shell looks like they are dead...hahaha

Bunky Squid

in my 10 gallon I have a mithrax which just ate my peppermint shrimp last night i think. and about a week ago he savaged a scarlet hermit. then he goes and tries to act all innocent by eating algae... that little sob

:

not quite sure what how im going to deal with him

http://www.seaworld.org/AskShamu/fish.html this website says that catalina gobies only live 1 to 2 years "Q: How long do fish live?

A: This is a very good question, one that scientists are still researching. There is a fish called the killifish that lives less than one year. It lays its eggs in temporary waters that dry up each season. The Catalina goby is another fish with a short lifespan. This fish only lives for a year or two." maybe its just that catalina gobies dont live that long anyway and it has nothing to do with the warm water?

Archived