Pod Your Reef

ochtodes dying back

keydiver

Hey the blue oches that i bought from shan a month or so ago have been doing fine up until now, they started turning white, and are kind of just disintegrating into nothing. I thought it might be my lack or nitrates/ nutrients, so I took out about half of my cheato so my other plants could get some nutrients. Any other thoughts about why they might be doing this?

heres pics

post-55106-1289959673_thumb.jpg

post-55106-1289959682_thumb.jpg

Hey the blue oches that i bought from shan a month or so ago have been doing fine up until now, they started turning white, and are kind of just disintegrating into nothing. I thought it might be my lack or nitrates/ nutrients, so I took out about half of my cheato so my other plants could get some nutrients. Any other thoughts about why they might be doing this?

heres pics

What lighting is it under?

T5 2x24 watt fish need it fixture on a 20 gal

i WOULD THINK THAT WOULD BE BRIGHT ENOUGH ON A 20G , mine usually starts getting thinner or lighter in color when they are under PCs. But under my Mh and T5s it grows like crazy.

its not so much that its getting lighter, its actually dying off. The algae just bleaches and then falls off into a million little dead pieces.

its not so much that its getting lighter, its actually dying off. The algae just bleaches and then falls off into a million little dead pieces.

Well, algal succession is a natural, often eventual process. You'll likely find that as one species proliferates, another will wane over the course of time. I've noticed the same in my tank with seagrasses and macroalgae, with the former outcompeting the latter. I suppose if you wanted to boost growth, you could do minor tweaks in macronutrient concentrations by adjusting N or P (usually N in marine systems).

Archived