ReefCleaners.org

another salt question

sogreedy23

hey just wondering what the fastest dissolving salt around is.. most of the salt threads i've seen seem to focus on like contents, but none mention the rate of solubility. i ask because i mix my water in 1 gal milk jugs, but it doesn't seem to fully dissolve, ever. i even left the salt in a 5.5g mixing..sat overnight with a kNano(and a heater), and even blasted it with an mp10 while trying out different settings yet it still wasn't completely mixed..i'm following directions with the ratio (cup/gallon)

i'm currently using coralife salt (i bought it because i wouldn't have had enough for better salt and the new sand i wanted lol..another reason not to skimp out on anything in this hobby)

so again i ask, what brand are you using and how fast does your water mix?

how do you other college reefers mix your water? do you use a bucket too?

thanks fellas B)

The fastest mixing salt is the B-Ionic salt. This is what I use and it mixes clear pretty much immediately with a little mixing and there's never anything floating around the bottom of the bucket. Levels are also really good but it is a 4 part mix so its a little more involved to mix but nothing too serious. They give you all the measuring stuff you need with purchase.

I have been using RC. Even after 24 hours of running a ph in the 5g bucket, there is still undisolved particles in the bottom of the bucket. I have used Oceanic in the past, dissolves very fast, within 5 minutes. Just ordered some D-D H2O salt, heard good stuff about it.

i dont know about you, but i mix my water for 5 mins with a power head and change water. never had a problem.

i dont know of any salt that completely dissolves into crystal clear water without leaving and residue.

used the same b ionic 4 part salt. definitely produces the clearest water in the shortest amount of time of all of the different salts i've used. I've tried quite a few.

i dont know about you, but i mix my water for 5 mins with a power head and change water. never had a problem.

i dont know of any salt that completely dissolves into crystal clear water without leaving and residue.

i usually do that, i just feel like there are some crystals in the water regardless of how much i mix..i'm thinking of d-d h2ocean, i've heard some good things about it on here and it seems to be pretty popular..i'm not as worried about exact measurements of trace elements only because i do 20% water changes weekly and don't keep sps, with no plans of it either. for me its mainly speed of mixing/clear water

Fastest out of the 4 I have used: Ranked as 1 being fastest.

1: DD H2O

2: Oceanic

3: Tropic marine Pro

4: Instant Ocean

Rank in debris left after 24hours mixing at temperature.

1: Oceanic

2: Tropic marine Pro

3: DD H2O

Rank in mineral content importance to my tanks needs

1: DD H2O

2: Oceanic

3: Tropic marine Pro

Currently using DD H20 and I will stick with it until they change formula or another brand comes close to its mineral content important to me.

I used Coralife for almost a year... and I too was frustrated with how long it took to dissolve the remnants of salt in the container, and was typically left with some residual debris. I had even accidentally allowed some of these remnants to be poured into my tank once, and onto my corals. I spent some time trying to blow the salt off of corals, but it still damaged my beloved duncan colony. (big time... it just about killed it) I have read many good things about Tropic Marin salt, and decided to give it a try. I bought a 13lb box, and so far I love the stuff. I just ordered a 55lb bucket online, and foresee that I will be sticking with it. Even only 2 water changes into using it (first was about 33% volume change, second was 20%) I am seeing an improvement in polyp extension, and a perceived improvement in coral colors. (that may be partially attributed to a recent change in a couple bulbs in my fixture, though that was only a few days ago)

Anyway, thus far, I'm loving Tropic Marin, and it is worth the extra cost in my books.

Received my D-D H2O this afternoon and am mixing up a bit for a w/c. Salt dissolved after only a few moments of hand mixing. Now to let it circulate till tomorrow...Already like it better than RC!

Archived