Innovative Marine Aquariums

Toadstool Frag keeps becoming unglued!

saggese820

This is the third time I've had to krazy glue my new toadstool frag to a rock, it keeps floating away within days. Same thing happens with my nepthea. Any suggestions? I use the krazy glue gel and dry both the rock and coral before applying and then let it dry for a few seconds. I have successfully glued zoas and kenya tree frags before, please any suggestions?

don't crazy glue that stuff... you need to secure it with some mesh or a toothpick with rubberbands and let it attach. super glue will burn it. burn it gooood.

The above works.

I also like to take monofilament fishing line and a needle and just "sew" it onto the surface.

Leave for a week or two til it attaches on it's own, then remove the thread.

Works great, done it many times.

you can rubber band it to the rock, if you do it tightly, it usually splits in 1/2 in the process and then you have 2 sarco's. another method is to put it in a small container with some rubble rock and mesh over the top. wait for it to attach to the rubble, then glue the rock to your main rockwork.

i fragged a large toadstool into about 12 frags, and used the rubber band method. and also used screen wrapped around the frag and frag disc. they both worked, but the rubber band worked better. just make sure to use a rubber band of just the right size. and not too tight. just enough to keep the frag in contact with the plug

this is what im doing right now, have them in a large breeder box and layered the bottom with rubble, sprinkle the frags on top and let them attach

IMAG0213.jpg

Krazy clue alone won't hold leathers, they are sooo slimey.

What I do is take a needle with a piece of thread and stick it through the stalk and then cut the thread leaving a little on each side then I glue the thread to the rock...works everytime!

Hope that helps

i'm going to have to try one of those methods next, thank you. the rubber band method did not work at all. The nepthea split in half after a few days and then floated away, and the toadstool slowly got smaller until it was no longer underneath the rubber band, and after about a week it floated away also...

• 4 weeks later...

I have a tank with coarse aragonite in it. I drop my softy frags in this and most attach to the aragonite in a few weeks or less. The I just use super glue gel to attach the leather frags on tiles. My palua sinularia you have to sort of plant them into the aragonite because they take longer to attach. This way works so much better for me than rubber banding because my frags always used to split in half and float away when I would rubberband them. Only about 50% or less would adhere to the frag tiles when I used rubberbands.

Archived