Innovative Marine Aquariums

New setup question

thefarmacist

Just a basic question. Setup first nanocube 3 days ago, 02/07, and everything looks great so far. Though, when i set the tank up i removed all the media except one sponge and the bag of carbon. A day later i decided to remove the carbon and upon doing so i noticed a lot of carbon debris was left in the chambers and sump area. Is this a problem? Should i syphon the the small particles out? Maybe during my first water change in 4 weeks? Or now?

One more basic question (Maybe a stupid one at that). I noticed while reading various posts that everyone seems to do water changes with RO/DI water.. does any one use store bought real ocean water? Is it okay to?

Thanks in advance...

12G NanoCube

15 lbs LS

18 lbs LR

Minijet 606 - Plus another for circulation

Rena 50W Heater

TheCurriculum

Hello thefarmacist.

Go ahead and use some airline tubing to suck out the carbon, not that big of a deal but go ahead and remove it. For the future if you need to run carbon to clean things up, rinse the carbon pack in some RO/DI water first to flush out these little particles.

Store bough real ocean water = Premixed RO/DI water with a saltmix. Some people use it, some don't

A lot of people don't like it because it has a lower salinity.

usually 1.02 instead of the 1.024 plus it usally cost more.

Some people can get premade for .48 some pay over a buck a gallon. Thier are plenty of post on that topic.

Have fun and enjoy your stay... Post some pics of your setup.

Thanks Curric... i live in So Cal and can buy water that comes straight from near by Catalina Island. I believe i will go that route.

No digi cam so till then no pics :(

Oh BTW, i added a bunch of LR to the sump area chambers and i believe that is a good idea but was wondering about light... the LR in the back will not receive any, is that allright?

Thanks all

Archived