Cultivated Reef

What should I out in my 20Gallon sump tank?

alohaeveryone

alohaeveryone

Aloha Everyone,

I started 60 Gallon display tank with a 20 Gallon Sump 2 months ago. My 60 gallon tank has red slime algae growing like crazy. I need to hand pick and keep changing 10% water every week in order to "kinda control".

I have 2 small clown fish and one baby peppermint shrimp in my tank only and I don't think i over feed them (just once a day with small amount).

I read growing plants in my sump would help with reduce Phosphate and control red slime algae.

Currently, I have Chaeto (used to be small two months ago and now is huge like a 7" round ball) in my tank and I still have a lot of room for others. What plant should I get in order to improve the water quality and reduce phosphate effectively?

Thanks

I'd say before trying to get plants to take up the phosphates, try to fix the water itself. Are you using tap or natural seawater? What do you use for ATO? Also, increasing flow as mentioned could help a ton. Caulerpa is good at nutrient export, but it has the possibly of going sexual, so I wouldn't recommend it.

phosphorus and phosphates are different. Phosphorus is an actual element. I'd say invest in a cheap hposphate test kit, API is what i recommend. Make sure you pick out as much nuisance before you test because they could be taking up the phosphates, and it would read as zero. Or, test the water your adding to your tank before you add it, and that'll solve the mystery. Red mangroves are great at removing trates and nutrients from your tank, plus they look cool sticking out of a sump :D

Archived