Pod Your Reef

how to kill off green algae ?

shermantt2001

shermantt2001

I suspect its the green/brown algae at its work here, but you guys can give your opinion.

The 7 gal tank, has been doing great for months and all of a sudden a hermit crab dies. And then my leather coral didnt look so hot and it died too. Then yesterday a snail died. So i did a WC, took a reading of ammonia, pH, nitrates, etc. all seemed normal. SG was 1.024, temp was 78C. Everything looks ok, so the only thing i can think of, is the green/brown wavy algae that has been growing on the rocks. which is now covered.

what should i do ?

thks ....

Hmm couple things to ponder...

1) Did you get everything that died out of the tank?

2) How old are the bulbs on your light? (old bulb can cause algae)

3) Make sure nothing was dropped in the tank (penny, beer cap, etc)

4) Was any household cleaner sprayed close by?

Algae does suck, but I really don't think that is the cause of your creatures dying. It's late and thats all I can think about now.

shermantt2001

well im using distilled water, and do WC once a week. With weekly top offs.

i took out the hermit crab, when it died. But the snail is there, i took it out yesterday. But didnt noticed the snail die until yesterday. So maybe its been in there for a few days ? I can't comment about dropping something in or any cleaning solution could have fell in, can't say for certain.

The lighting,i cont remember the exact wattage, but its a CSW 50/50 i believe ...

thks for the help ...

Archived