Top Shelf Aquatics

What the Frik?!?!?

Quixsilver

Hey I was up super late last night watching "Super Troopers" , anyway I checked out my tank and found this little bugger. I took about 50 pics with my digital camera but these were the best ones. It was small and was on the glass of my tank. Any guesses?

CHEESE AND RICE! Hey that doesn't sound good. What do these buggers do? I should've squashed the little maggot in the first place. How'd that sucker get in there?!?!

Looks like a flatworm to me also. They come as hitch-hikers on live rock and coral. If there is one, chances are that there are many others hiding in the rock and such. The things reproduce worse then mice!

There have been several ways discussed on how to get rid of them also. Some choose chemical, some predatorial, and some just syphon. Start here http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/search.php...rder=descending for a few ideas. Sorry for ya man, those things are a PITA.

Angel

• 3 weeks later...

i don't think they're flatworms anymore... i have 'em and they're not FW. possibly a nudi... i'll keep tabs and try to figure this one out along with you.

I had one. It is a flatworm. They eat pods. If it seems like THAT big a deal to you, you can use flatworm exit. I haven;t seen mine since I switched tanks and I know it hasn't reproduced. Theyre actually a sign of a good and healthy aquarium. You can kill it if you want, but mine was never any real threat. I actually thought it was kinda cool the way it swam around.

-Justin

jmt yours "swam around"!?! they seem a lot larger than flatworms, they're not flat, they're not colored like flatworms, their mouth isn't where a flatworms is, and i've got ton of pods and i've never heard anywhere that flatworms eat pods.

flatworm%20composite1.jpg

"The lower right image is a composite of three photos of a small white flatworm, which eats some of the brown flatworms found in many reef tanks. It may also eat the red planarian, but this is uncertain, and experiments are being done to confirm this.

Contributed by Guy Comstock, this pair of images shows the feeding mode of a carnivorous flatworm.

This flatworm is a predator on small crustaceans such as copepods which it envelops with the expanded front of the body, as shown in the upper image above. The enveloped prey are enclosed in the "bag" and eaten by the mouth, which is located in the middle of the animal."

Depends on if they overrun the tank or not. I only had one (tha I know of) so it didn't bother me. Now 100 on the other hand, adios.

-Justin

Hey I've been suckin these things out every night. I can't seem to find 'em during the day. I average about 4-6 critters that I can reach and siphon out. Good luck to any one who has these buggers.

Archived