inTank Media Baskets

Question for the board

Tinytank

Currently I use powdered Brightwell Cal/Alk/Mag supplements to maintain the levels in my tank. I test regularly (weekly) and am happy with where my levels are not 9dk, 450 cal, 1300mg.

I saw on the main forum that there is a BRS Group Buy going on and checked out the site. For what I paid to get 300g of Brightwell mag I can get between 6 - 8 pounds of BRS product. There is only one problem....two Choices!

For Calcium they offer calcium chloride as the only choice, and I assume this is what makes up my "Calcion P" from Brightwell.

It gets hazy for me on the Alk/Mag side of things where they offer Sodium Carbonate or Sodium Bicarbonate for Alk and Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Sulfate for Mag.

Which of these products do I need to continue my current dosing regimen, though at a much lower cost?

Thanks so much for the help!!

Sodium Bicarbonate (aka Baking soda) will lower pH as it has high amounts of CO2.. Sodium Carbonate (aka Baked baking soda) will raise pH.. if you have issues keeping your pH up, the sodium carbonate (recipe 1) is for you.

I don't worry about it either but I know it runs on the lower side 7.8-8.0 :), i just maintain alk and calc, water changes are enough to keep mag where it needs to be. If you're already at 8.3-8.5 and don't have issues keeping it there get the bicarb to just maintain alk.. whether you check pH or not, you should know if you run higher or lower in the acceptable range.

I don't worry about it either but I know it runs on the lower side 7.8-8.0 :), i just maintain alk and calc, water changes are enough to keep mag where it needs to be. If you're already at 8.3-8.5 and don't have issues keeping it there get the bicarb to just maintain alk.. whether you check pH or not, you should know if you run higher or lower in the acceptable range.

Awesome. Mine almost always tests in the 7.8 -8.0 range though there is the occasional time when it will be 8.3. If this is the case should I just the the carb version?

What about the two choices of mag??

You'll need to get both.. going to use 3 cups of magnesium sulfate and 5 cups of magnesium chloride per gallon... just go on bulkreefsupply.com and look at the components of recipe 1.. it's pretty cheap to just buy the kit straight from them anyway. They gots instructional videos to watch also.

Archived