Cultivated Reef

DIY 40 Breeder Stand

ticklem

Have my 2 coats of poly on. Did not sand in between it was taking off some of the color the one spot i tried sanding. No color change it is still a dark Cherry color exactly what I was wanting. I should have the doors on tomorrow I just wanted to give the poly 2 days to completely dry before the doors go on. Says on can poly would make it darker but as far I can tell it looks the same to me.

All these stands look great. everyone must be trying to get done befor the holidays. I just fininshed mine today also.

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0391.jpg

IMAG0392.jpg

IMAG0394.jpg

:o Gutter, is that paint or just a really dark stain?! Looks like really nice wood to just cover up with paint!

Anyways, I really like the granite top... I was originally planning to do granite sides, but ended up going with something more "earthy" and unrefined (slate). That's going to look good up and running!

Gutterguy,

Your stand looks great I was actually considering a granite top on mine but in the end I wanted to hid the plastic black frame. Plus I think I will be building the canopy to match which I will be posting on here as well. But stand looks really good.

So the doors that I had on hand are not going to fit the bill. I will be getting doors made locally. Also I am now going to be adding a canopy to this stand so that will be comming soon.

:o Gutter, is that paint or just a really dark stain?! Looks like really nice wood to just cover up with paint!

Anyways, I really like the granite top... I was originally planning to do granite sides, but ended up going with something more "earthy" and unrefined (slate). That's going to look good up and running!

Yes it is a black stain. I wanted the wood grain to come through. My tv stand is the same way so I built to match. And yeah the wood for the front styles is premium red oak. The granite was free, I was originally going to do concrete but this saved alot of tiime and effort

Since everyone else is posting, here's my 40b stand... Stained it last night (It's just sitting on a frame to allow me to spin it around).

IMG_1247.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So heres a shot with the tank on the stand still no doors yet. Once I get all the plumbing done I will order the doors. Bulb combo cause I know someone will ask is 2 ATI blue +, 1 ATI Blue special 1 ATI purple +

SDC10670.jpg

SDC10673.jpg

All these stands look great. everyone must be trying to get done befor the holidays. I just fininshed mine today also.

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0391.jpg

IMAG0392.jpg

IMAG0394.jpg

that looks very nice with the granite, im going to do something similar with my cube

• 2 months later...

Finally with the doors on!!!

SDC10901.jpg

SDC10903-1.jpg

SDC10907.jpg

SDC10909-1.jpg

Not so sure about the hood yet at this point I think I am going to leave it off looks bulky on the tank to me

SDC10910-1.jpg

SDC10915.jpg

SDC10921-1.jpg

Without

SDC10923.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0391.jpg

IMAG0392.jpg

IMAG0394.jpg

How much shipped to 77619?

I have an oceanic 70g with the same foot print, would it be a good idea to build it with out a center brace in the front?

It will definately be strong enough without the center brace. The only reason I have it is so that when the doors are closed you don't see the light from my fuge in the crack of the doors. I do not have a center brace in the back. With a 36" long tank it is unnessary.

• 5 months later...

How's everyone account for imperfect joints / beams on the top frame the tank rests on? I am worried about high spots particularly in the corners where the 15" pieces meet the 36" pieces - - - is eyeball/carpenter's square close enough or are folks using planers? I would like to avoid the additional weight of a sheet of plywood on top, though I suppose even a relatively thin sheet would help account for any issues and wouldn't do any harm as opposed to no sheet.

• 2 weeks later...
How's everyone account for imperfect joints / beams on the top frame the tank rests on? I am worried about high spots particularly in the corners where the 15" pieces meet the 36" pieces - - - is eyeball/carpenter's square close enough or are folks using planers? I would like to avoid the additional weight of a sheet of plywood on top, though I suppose even a relatively thin sheet would help account for any issues and wouldn't do any harm as opposed to no sheet.

I just eyeballed mine. I just made sure I had some pretty straight 2x4's.

I ended up using a plane and eyeballing but without 90 degree clamps it was a lot of pushing things together while drilling pilots and screwing and trying my darndest to keep them together, for most of the joints I was able to get them pretty darn good. The very last one I did was the hardest as the rest of the stand no longer had any give to it, I had my girlfriend help me and we got it as best as we could.

When finished, I tried the tank on the stand both ways and the one with the tightest clearance throughout the bottom rim of the stand became the "Top".

I have put filler in all the cracks and completed my first round of sanding. Two more grits to go but the weather looks ugly to continue and may be stuck for a few days... (Have to work outside..which may make finishing a frustrating process with August thunderstorms preventing any hope for being able to keep this thing outside for 24 hours and avoid bringing still-drying stain/finish into the house)

Here is my favorite picture of the project so far showing one of my "Top" corners : ) (the strong tie is there, it's just right below the bit shown)

2d8m72c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finished mine. Apologies for the extreme similarities - - but don't they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?

Did you place foam between the stand and tank?

swwhs7.jpg

Archived