Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cheato

uhupong

Mine doesn't look like it grows at all. The first batch that I bought lost it color and slowly fell apart.

I suspect my bulb doesn't have the right spectrum . Can anyone please suggest me the bulb from home depot that is best in growing cheato in my biocube29HQI refugium ?

Thanks

Pong

P.S. Please point me to the exact bulb on www.homedepot.com so I can tell sale associate what i look for. thank you very much

I have used the compact spiral bulbs with great success, they do need replaced after about 6-8 months. but you should be able to tell based on the growth. the flood type with built in reflectors may be a better choice but I had the spirals, eeh. as to spectrum. try to pick the closest to day light which is I belive the red. there should be green, red, & blue. green being what is normally used around the house, blue close to a 10k, & red around 6.5k. i stated to use them based on info from melves reef, where there were pics documenting the growth based on multiple bulb types.

• 1 month later...

Chaeto will do fine under 50/50 PC, although an all-white pc bulb would be better. Growth rate is partly dependent on your tank's bioload, how good a skimmer you have, etc., which will limit the nutrient availability for the chaeto. Good flow rate is also important for chaeto growth - I've not really seen this in my experience, but I've also never gotten the fuge flow up high enough for the chaeto ball to continuously tumble which many recommend. Pretty much, if I check the chaeto regularly it seems to grow really slow, and if I forget about it for weeks, then it seems to grow really fast ;P

Archived