Cultivated Reef

MH heat on nanos

trial0r

how do you guys with halides keep your nanos from boiling?

my water has been a bit hot since i upgraded and i moved my halides up 2 inches today, moved the ballast across the room and added more water to my refuge and somehow my temperature went up a degree....

are those of us with smaller reefs, due to space and money constraints forced to shell out 700 dollars for a chiller?

Reefer_Buddha

you shouldnt need a chiller for halide at all. On the contrary ive talked to ppl with halides that actually report their temperature going down after switching. If youre concerned then you need to add a fan to your hood or whatever set up you have. Look at krakerg's CSL hood conversion, he shows the temp being stable with a 70w halide + pcs in the same hood on his 10g.

I got some variable fans that would work good in your tank. I have a 175 MH over my 20 standard inside the canopy, which by the way is not modified. IM using two variable fans that dissipate the heat and keep my water temp well under 78 degrees.

I keep my 70 watt MH about 4 inches above my 7 gallon nano, and have not used the fan I put in the hood at all. My temp stays right between 80.1 to 80.5 with lights on or off.

Dan

Archived