Pod Your Reef

Gromit's 29 gallon BC Tank

Gromit1710

Considering the amount of water I get on the inside of the feeding flap, that wouldn't be a good place on mine. I have the 750 pushing water right along the surface for gas exchange.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an impulse buy this weekend.

With the death ( or vanishment ..wait.. is that a word? ) of my Lawnmower Blenny, I went to my LFS with a desire to replace him with something.

That something turned out to be a Purple Toadstool Leather. :happy:

My lights are on sunset blues right now, I'll take a pic soon and show it. Very classic toadstool shape. with a nice thick polyp top.

Also,

I've finally figured out how to attach coral frags and rocks to my LR. StevieT's method shown here worked perfectly. I already had both items in my search of how to stick these things where I wanted them... never thought to use both of them together. WORKS!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. Just an update on my tank.

I've recently added 2 more coral.

Purple Leather and a Red Acans Lord

Re-arrainged a couple of times, getting just the right placement for some of these new guys. Unfortunately I had my leather placed to high initially and I ended up shocking the hell out of the little guy. 2 weeks later, today was the first day I've seen his feeder arms out.

Moved my large red acro up high so the color will get better. The flow is much higher where it's at now too.

My Royal Gramma went missing the same way my Lawnmower blenny did. Now my only fish are the red blenny and the YWG. Both seem happy.

Here's an updated FTS. I think it's starting to look good!

post-39026-1296610199_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Gromit1710

Hey all, Just a quick update FTS shot of my tank.

Everything has been growing great!

The Xenia needs trimming every couple of weeks to keep it in check. The Cat's Paw and Pick P. is getting huge and the Mushroom has it's tentacles out 24- 7 these days!

post-39026-1307150844_thumb.jpg

Gromit1710
Looks great! That's a nice Xenia colony you've got there!

Thanks!

I severely hacked the Xenia colony during the WC yesterday. I swear.. I'm throwing 30 bucks worth of frags out every couple of weeks...

ANYONE IN AZ WANT SOME FREE XENIA???

Take my frags... please! :lol:

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone!

It's been awhile since I've posted.

I finally caught the Xanthid Crab that I've been hunting for almost a year now!! (not that I've been too serious about it..)

My tank is doing ok. I'm battling green hair algae :angry: I've checked parameters, I've taken water samples in to double check those parameters.... Cut back feeding, doing weekly water changes.. you name it.

I can't find a reason for the algae :huh:

Over the last few months, I've noticed that my astrea snails seem to die off and my CUC seemed to be getting smaller and smaller.

Now I've known that I had the Xanthid Crab in there since I set the tank up. He came in on the live rock and has been an elusive member of my tank ever since. I've always had the suspicion that he was behind the mysterious disappearances ( 3 emeralds, countless Astrea snails, and perhaps even my old blenny..)

Over the last year, I've tried catching him but have never managed it. But today!! AHAHAHH!! Today I win!

I returned from the LFS with SW and a host of new snails to replenish the CUC. 5 astreas and 1 turbo ( A bit clunky in my tank, but worth a shot )

About 15 mins after putting them in the tank, my wife noticed a crab she had never seen before racing out of the rockwork. It was the Xanthid!!

I watched as he ran over to the turbo, flipped it over and began digging at the snail!

I jumped up and grabbed the long forceps and went after him. This time he was out in the open and I pinned him against the glass and got him out. He was easily the largest thing in the tank larger than a silver dollar at this point.

Hopefully this will be the end of my disappearances!

I forgot to add a picture of the tank now!

I just did a WC so the star polyps are mostly closed up.

I also just yanked a dying flower pot out. It was doing really good for the last 6 months, but one day just quit opening and melted. RIP.

post-39026-1327275334_thumb.jpg

Archived