ReefCleaners.org

my son's 20 gal reef tank

alien4fish

well i am gonna get my son an octopus so after much reading and research and space considerations i went down to the LFS, and found this bargin for25 bucks, cause it has a small chip in the corner......................... as you can see its a 20 tall more of a show fish tank than a reef tank but we are gonna put an octo in it so he has room to swim and be happy we are probably gonna go with a "pygmy" speices so it will stay small,now bear with me it's not all the way done yet ive been workin on it all day,...... still gotta get the lights right and im thinkin prloy gotta figure out out how im gonna seal it blah blah blah blah

well, lighting wil bo NO, mostly cured l/r and some macro, DUDE:P WHEN I FLIPED ON THE LIGHT REAL QUIK THIS MORNING the shrimp and bugs were runnin ALL over the black sand WAAAY KOOOL and thats the l/r out of my tank/ fuge:P :P i was thinkin to put my fluval on there to cause we are going to get an octo

uuuummmm yes, i do, its actually quite sturdy, however i will be looking for something more along the line of a cabnit to hide all filters and goodies

You probably already know, but octopi are famous escape artists. I don't know if you can lock down a tank so they won't escape. They may do good for a while, but once they start to explore, there's no way you're going to keep him in a tank.

thats not neccessarily true, all you need is a tight fitting glass top/lid and some good silacone sealer( g.e. silacon 2)run a bead around the top and........................................POW! DONE!:P :P

• 2 weeks later...

pow done eh? how about where the filter's go into the tank? what about where the water goes in and out of the filters? also do you have a deep enough sandbed to keep a heavy digger like a octopus happy? ocotopusses love to dig so you'll also have to have a aquascaping that won't come tumbling down... that's not easy considering they need plenty of caves to feel safe. are you sure you know what you're doing dood?

sorry guys and guys and gals i havent been on line, my friggin p.c. had a small virus problem, Marlooney, what i did is cut a notch out in the rear left cornerof the glass top i then inserted the intake and outflow then i siliconed all the openings at the rear of the tank, the sand is a DSB of about 4 -5 inches in depth, i put some L/R in the tank as well as gracilliaria algea for him to hide in-under- on top-etc. i do find that he loves to sit up high on the glass and watch what is going on in the room(Tattoo) is his name, likes to grab my finger with his tentacles and squirt water at me and my son he really is quite the little playfull cephlapod, i have found that he is indeed very interactive with humans. im very glad to have decided to bring an octo into our home im using my fluval 303 for filtration so i put the bio beads back inside and im running just floss to remove particulate matter from the water, i will be designing an enlcosed refugium here very soon so i can add a skimmer and more L/R to the sys.

good point:( that is why im going to add the skimmer and fuge to the sys. so far all my perahms have been in check i havent had any problems so far

sorry... btw ... How do you feed and do anything inside the tank if its all sealed? why would an octo escape out of the tank where it could dry up and die? sounds like this octopus keeping is hard business... sorry but im quite curious and I never heard of an octo in a tank other then at a public aquarium.

Archived