Coral Vue Hydros

lighting for macro

HiImSean

i've been reading different things about what macros need. im contemplating sectioning off my sump and having the front a display with macros that will serve as a fuge. do i need t5s? i've heard some use PC for their macro. would t8s work too?

i use a fish need it 2x24 watt t5 on my 20 gal macro tank. I basically did the same thing your planning to do, i plumbed in my 20 gal macro display to my 29g biocube, and i've had it up fort about 1-2 months, the macros have been growing excellent. I'm using a fiji blue and a 10k daylight bulb

keep in mind that there are as many ways to do this as there are tanks its done in. your idae of a display fuge is pretty solid. lighting can be anything you come can come up with, so long as it meets the needs of the livestock. I have used those spiral bulbs myself & seen people go as far as mh. its more learn the needs of the tank & meet them than you have to do it thiis way.

• 2 weeks later...

bump

I'm curious to hear about various "successful" lighting strategies for macros

I've got a 3w LED that is very yellow- 4,000K or so-- that is lighting my chaeto right now. Seems to be doing ok.

when I set up my new fuge/sump, I may add more light. I'd like to hear opinions.

I used the spirls cfl bilbs for your house amd had to harvest my macro's alot. Got great growth. I was lookin gon the base of the bulb for the kelvin rating. mine were 6500k and I got 3 in a pack at Home Depot for 7 bucks!

Coralife has screw in PC 50/50 and 6700K in 10 or 20 watts....

i've got a 10w (?) 6500K cfl around here somewhere, may end up using it and returning the LED to desk-top duty

first I've got to get the sump up and running

I used the spirls cfl bilbs for your house amd had to harvest my macro's alot. Got great growth. I was lookin gon the base of the bulb for the kelvin rating. mine were 6500k and I got 3 in a pack at Home Depot for 7 bucks!

Coralife has screw in PC 50/50 and 6700K in 10 or 20 watts....

Archived