Coral Vue Hydros

LED Lighting Adventure

DLN

Would this be sufficient lighting for a 9"x9" cube?

The blue leds are 420nm and have 4800 mcd output @ 20ma (not over driven). The white leds get about 9200mcd (not over driven). Both have a 15 degree viewing angle. They will be aproximately 9.5" above the bottom of the tank. I am going to mill a pcb to mount them on so everything should be nice and compact. I just need to know if corals can grow under this.

The image had to be scaled down, the actual dimensions from the first row of leds to the last is 8.50" square

Originally posted by zzpw3x

I think it would be good enough for a FO tank.  I have toyed with this a bit, and you are going to need probably at least 10 LEDs/Watt.

.... This is nano-reef.com, I am not talking about a FO tank, I'm talking about a micro-reef...

Ryan

Even with the 121 LEDs in your array as diagramed there may not be sufficient light output to support photosynthesis. The most efficient 5mm white LEDs are only a around 2-3 lumens per LED. In contrast, power compact lights generally are in the area of 50 - 60 lumens per watt efficency. Many blue LEDs are even less efficient.

The mcd value is not a measure of the total amount of light, but the brightness, which is relative and depends on the angle of the LED lens. Lumens are a measure of the total light energy output.

Luxeon star LEDs are more practical than 5mm LEDs because they cost less per lumen, and you don't need as many LEDs in an array to have the same light output. They are about the same efficiency however. They come in 1w, 3w and 5w models, but the lifetime of the 5w ones is only 1000 hours.

Also keep in mind if you go with Luxeons you will have to mount the LEDs on heat sinks to keep them cool. Its a common misconception that LEDs don't produce heat, but this is only because 5mm LEDs only consume .08 watts of power, which is hardly enough heat to notice. Energy wise, LEDs are at best only slightly more efficient than incandescant light bulbs. LEDs appear brighter to the eye because they are a point source of light and generally tightly focused.

I understand that this is for corals and not fish. My point is that you are going to need many more LED's than you think. This is basically what Pulse was saying. I disagree with him about the light vs. efficiency compared to incandescents, but hey, we can't all agree.

Dale

i say do it and see what happens and let us know thats the only way to find out it may take a while to see what goes on but man it will be cool to see it post some pics of it when and if you do this

chad

Archived