SaltCritters.com

Deep Water Gorgonian Question

Phinhead54

gorgonian.jpg

I keep reading conflicting opinions on lighting . . .

I've actually moved the rock a little from this picture so it gets a little more light and I turned the Gorgonian (Finger Coral?) around in hopes of getting it farther from the glass. I have PhytoPlankton that I'm adding 2-3x a week (I've only done it once, got this guy 2 days ago). He had his white polyps out before, but has not had them out much since the rock move and the flip. Anyone have any good light and placement suggestions for this? There is good water flow right there if you are wondering, it is near the intakes to the filter system.

Well I have one aswell, and I am here to tell ya, that you are in luck. These corals don't need much if any light at all because the way that they get nutrients from the zoo plankton that is put out through the water. One thing that I have learned about gorgonians is that they are a patient persons pet. They come out very randomly , if at all some times. Then others are out all of the time eating. The point is that they may seem like they are dead but given enough time they will open up and feed. Just be patient.

I have the same gorgonian. Everything was fine for a couple of weeks. Great polyp extension. I feed phytoplankton every other day. It hasn't come out now in a week :(

I'm hoping it's just sulking. They do like quite a bit of flow, and it's important to keep algae off.

Archived