Cultivated Reef

Snail sex

Korbin

I was watching one of my banded trochus snails today, and he was squirting milky/cloudy white stuff out of him for about a half hour, on and off. I think you know what he was doing...:blush:

But the cool part is that another of my banded trochus snails was sitting right above the powerhead, and releasing hundreds of thousands of little white specks into the water. Eggs! Now my water is filled with zillions of little snail eggs, all being fertilized by the other snail.

I think my reef has just been converted into a snail farm. Is there anything I should do? Is this going to hurt anything?

Nishant3789

luckty for us snails reproduction isnt like freshwater, they wont take over, see, the eggs will all be eatin by either herimts, fish, corals , sponges etc. very good delecicy imo.

nishant

Lunchbucket

i checked my tank everythign was fine then about 30min later i could barely see through it. i assume the snails spawned like they have many many times in the past. i have witnessed the same things that you described...pretty neat but you feel dirty don't you LOL.

all is well everything will just have a nice meal. if you get worried or it doesn't clear in a day i would do a small water change or run carbon, or add filter floss.

Lunchbucket

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Snail sex

Archived