Coral Vue Hydros

Kalk drip/auto top off for 1-gal

Steve

Hello,

I found a simple DIY kalk dripper that is made out of a water bottle and some tubing. If I could get this system to drip slow enough, would it still be too much for a 1-gallon reef tank?

Steve-:|

i think it depends upon how much water you lose everyday.

consider if you lose a cup (about 4 oz., not unusual) a day in a 1-gallon system (128 oz. or less if you have LR/LS). replacing the water lost with very caustic (12+ pH) water, even if dripped evenly over a period, may still cause considerable shock to a system (even a large one imo).

in addition, even if you can sufficiently control the dripping remember that the input point of the kalk would still be very dangerous. normally, kalk is diluted in a sump or turbulent flow area to limit pH shock to the livestock. in a nano, open space takes on a new meaning versus a traditional system. there isn't a lot of time or space for kalk to be diluted. the true limitation (imo) lies in the size of the actual "drop" of kalk. if the "drop" could somehow be made smaller (i.e. 1/4-drop or smaller) then i think it could work. hth

I'm using the same setup (I posted a link to it in DIY) on my Azoo mini tank however as RO/DI top off only (ie don't add kalk). I'm still finetuning the drip rate as normal air valves aren't good enough IMO. Time for a needle drip valve. I wouldn't think of doing kalk at all in a system that small for the same reasons that tinyreef said.

Thanks for the information, I think I'll set this up to just keep the tank topped off over the weekend.

Thanks again for all the help:)

Steve-

Archived