Coral Vue Hydros

Gravel Vac for Water changes?

Machupicchu

Ok dont judge but im still a little confused on this. Is it better to use a gravel vac and siphon from the sand while doing a water change to get all the crap out, or should you just siphon from the water column as to not disturb the sand bed?

Iv heard mixed opinions. Tell me your opinion and why.

Thanks ahead, Chris.

If it is a functioning deep sand bed, say 4-6" deep, then it should not be disturbed. If it is a decorative shallow sand bed then by all means vacuum the grunge out.

In a DSB the fauna and critters keep it clean and disturbing it down deep exposes anaerobic bacteria to oxygen causing problems.

If it is a functioning deep sand bed, say 4-6" deep, then it should not be disturbed. If it is a decorative shallow sand bed then by all means vacuum the grunge out.

In a DSB the fauna and critters keep it clean and disturbing it down deep exposes anaerobic bacteria to oxygen causing problems.

+1

I have a ~1" sandbed and I blow it all pretty good with a turkey baster before I water change. The only reason I dont siphon it directly is I feel you lose too much sand that way.

Ahhhhhh yess it all makes sense now :o. In which case i will vacuum the heck out of it.

Cool so now what are the pros/cons of an active sand bed for when i set up my 90.

Also, should i have some sort of remote sand bed in my sump fuge or anything like that. Its a 12 gal with ten gallon sump, half of which is a fuge with cheato and calupra and live rock rubble. No miracle mud or sand.

If you're running CC, vacuum it since it is coarse enuff to trap detritus. If you run anything finer, i don't recommend messing with it as there are things in the anoxic layer of even a shallow sand bed that are best kept out of the water column. I've seen folks kill off their tanx this way.

I'm guessing the folks who say they stir/vacuum their substrate have been doing it from day one, so they really have no anoxic layer to speak of.

If you're running CC, vacuum it since it is coarse enuff to trap detritus. If you run anything finer, i don't recommend messing with it as there are things in the anoxic layer of even a shallow sand bed that are best kept out of the water column. I've seen folks kill off their tanx this way.

I'm guessing the folks who say they stir/vacuum their substrate have been doing it from day one, so they really have no anoxic layer to speak of.

IMO if you are planning a keeping a tank up for a while you should always siphon it unless its a DSB. Smaller sand beds just become nitrate sinks as it is not deep enough to have a truly anaerobic layer. I have seen some threads with people who have small sand beds that havent been maintained and it leads to crazy algae problems or tank crashes. If I was going to start doing this after a while of a tank being set up I would start small and do 1/4 a week right before a water change.

so how long does it take for the anaerobic layer to develop. I try to do water changes weekly but sometimes i just dont have time. My sand bed is about 2"

You need 4-6" to develop a true anaerobic zone. At 3" or less it may be anoxic or facultative but not anaerobic as oxygen can still be present.

so vacume if its below 2 inches and dont if its over that. what would be the best way to vaccume it because im sure that we would lose alot of sand if we used a gravel vac.

so vacume if its below 2 inches and dont if its over that. what would be the best way to vaccume it because im sure that we would lose alot of sand if we used a gravel vac.

I would vacuum a 3 inch sand bed as well. 3 inches is kind of a weird depth between DSB and shallow IMO.

well i vacuumed the sand in my tank today and i was amzed the water that i took out was like dark black the sand looks awsome now to. i will keep this up every week. just thought i would share to help everyone else out.

gulfsurfer101

I used to use a gravel vac with some pillow floss in the vac tube with my weekly wc's. The floss will also help in not sucking up too much sand. I went bb after I tore down my 40br and would highly reccommend sand vacs after seeing how much crap accumulates after just one week on my one fished 30g.

Archived