Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help with calcium dosing

hazmat

Believe it or not I have never had to dose calcium. I always have to dose carbonate and Mag. I have a couple of SPS and 2 clams and I just tested my calcium and it's 380. It usually stays at 450. I have some Kent's liquid calcium and I was going to dose it up to 420. I'm having a hard time finding out exactly how to dose it. Do I mix it in RO water and slowly pour it in the same was as my ALK??

Another issue is that I have SO MUCH coraline algae forming. It seems to grow quicker on acrylic such as my skimmer and the acrylic walls of my sump as well as my overflow. Can you have too much coraline?

Thanks! :)

Coraline algae is what is most likley using up your calcium. It's a good sign the tank is stable.

When I dose calcium in my 135 I just pour it into my sump and let it go through the filtration this way it has a chance to mix with the water before getting into the tank.

Coraline algae is what is most likley using up your calcium. It's a good sign the tank is stable.

When I dose calcium in my 135 I just pour it into my sump and let it go through the filtration this way it has a chance to mix with the water before getting into the tank.

So you just pour it in straight? No mixers? B) I am going to dose it in two separate parts. 60cc today and 60cc tomorrow.

Yeah, the coraline is even encrusting on my chaeto that is in my sump. And my sump walls are just covered in it so you can't see thru them. I didn't think about the coraline using up the calcium but your probably right.

Thanks for the response.

Coralline algae uses calcium, but it can drastically lower Alkalinity levels,

What salt are you using. 380ppm sounds like Instant Ocean. It is not too low but its not on the average 420 either.

The liquid calcium supplements on larger tanks sometimes is not enough (cost effective)

Have you heard of Kalkwesser? This may work out better in the long run for you.

If Alkalinity is an issue. Save some money. Use Baked Baking Soda.

Oh and this is crucial to dosing. A trusty reef chemistry calculator. Reef Chem Calc

Coralline algae uses calcium, but it can drastically lower Alkalinity levels,

What salt are you using. 380ppm sounds like Instant Ocean. It is not too low but its not on the average 420 either.

The liquid calcium supplements on larger tanks sometimes is not enough (cost effective)

Have you heard of Kalkwesser? This may work out better in the long run for you.

If Alkalinity is an issue. Save some money. Use Baked Baking Soda.

Oh I definitely use baking soda AND soda ash. Depending on pH. I will usually mix the two to give me the dKH level I need and a boost to my pH if I need it. I've never had to buy calcium but happened to have some Kent liquid calcium on hand.

When I first started reefing I purchased some TLF C balance and never used it. Now I know better and use baking soda.

My salt in Seachem reef salt. When I mix up my water change water my calcium tests out at 440 or 450. That's why I was surprised at the 380. But I tested it twice using API calcium.

I have to dose carbonate lately about once a week. I've been trying to keep it at 9. It will drop to 7. And I keep my Mag at 1400.

I do have kalk. But I've never done the kalkwasser thing. Don't you have to drip it? So far, my calcium hasn't been an issue. All I have is 2 clams, 2 monti's and 1 sour apple birdsnest. Everything else is softies.

Yes you should drip the kalk in. I don't. Well. I use to then figured out a weekly regiment that was sufficient and not harmful. Basically its about 1 teaspoon for me to maintain a proper level per week. I skip the first week after a WC.

Great Calculator!

dont know if u know bout this, but it works fantastic for figuring out the exact dosage u need!

also, you could try Tropic marin Bio-calc. it works phenominal! it will work your alk too. great great stuff!!!

good luck!

Great Calculator!

dont know if u know bout this, but it works fantastic for figuring out the exact dosage u need!

also, you could try Tropic marin Bio-calc. it works phenominal! it will work your alk too. great great stuff!!!

good luck!

Oh yeah!!! I've had that page bookmarked on my computer for a few years. I use it for everything :D Thanks for the recommendation.

Archived